1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

The silver surfer.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Blowthru89, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Blowthru89

Started this build a few months ago with my son, it's another in a long line of turbo fox's I've built over the years since 1993.
    i got bit a long time ago in Melrose Park Il, I was eating at the local choke n puke when a black GNX come Rollin up to the red light spewing and whistling and shakin the concrete bench I was sitting on while eating my food.
    it was one of the cats I went to school with, Pete Barton, his dad had a little hot rod shop down the street called ANS performance.
    i had never heard anything like it, when the light changed he left off the stripe slow and easy and then stuck his foot in the fan shroud and that car bellowed and shot off like a rocket ship, and when he let off of it, the gates of hell opened up and it made all kinds of noises and then settled in quietly for a cruise.
    simply awesome, better than any smile from a cheerleader or smirky look from the best moped I rode at school.
    i had to see what all this was about, so me and my buddy drove up the street to ANS and I asked ken, pete's dad, just what the hell all the racket was, it sounded broken, but cool.
    he said it was a single turbo Donavan blocked GNX they were trying to tune, of course all that was Spanish pish posh to my ears, the only word I understood was "turbo".
    but I knew I was hooked on the word from that moment, all the noises and whistling and chi chi chi, yea that was my new drive in life, to harness all that machismo.
    i paid no attention to all the GMC syclones in the shop or the GTA's that lay taken apart instead I wanted to see under the hood of that street beast I had heard. And I did, and it was on, I had to build it, but I knew my old 1982 GT with a two barrel carb and a lazy 302 HO with the SROD 4 speed was no recipient of that awesomeness.
    so I bought a 1993 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z.
    wuuuuuut you say?
    it was a turbo car, I was just trying any way I could to learn, even if it meant buying brand X, it was inside me now.
    That was a long time ago and about 23 mustangs ago.
    sorry for the long story, which brings me to today, this silver 93 mustang coupe I have, 89,000 miles, all up on jack stands waiting to breathe life again.
    it spent time n the streets a few years, graduated to a 14 point cage, a 331 cubic in single turbo that ran a best of 5.88 @124mph in the 1/8 mile.
    i changed professions from the steadily sinking ship of ASE cert mechanic to Law Enforcement, and pretty much quit messing with any racing whatsoever, took the car apart, sold parts this and that and that was a few years ago.
    now my son that has seen all these monsters I created, wants his own.
    so here we are, starting with the silver surfer, which is basically just a body and a cage, starting from scratch, trying to remember all this techno wizardry I've long forgotten.

2. Blowthru89

image.jpg #ad

This is where we begin at the rear, the best I can remember, starting out with a stock 8.8, gutted it, shaved the factory axle ends off 1 inch per side and added 9 inch Torino ends.

image.jpg #ad

3. Blowthru89

image.jpg #ad

Got the ends from Quick performance, a big thanks to them for the speedy delivery of a decent pair of ends.

image.jpg #ad

4. Blowthru89

image.jpg #ad

I had long forgotten what a pain in the ass stock rubber bushings were to get out to make way for my Basline upper set up, gee whiz.

image.jpg #ad

5. Blowthru89

All that cutting and beating had me wore out for the night, so I cleaned up a little and shut off the lights for the night, but not before I snapped a pic of the new glide I got from Kieth Szabo in the ATL.
    I believe he said Neal built it, and I picked up a used JW ultra bell for cheap.
    image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

6. Blowthru89

I did a pretty decent job a while back with some help from friends, it was years ago, actually.
    Stock bottom end 351 Windsor, new bearings and gaskets, that was it, straight out of a bronco, me and my turbo bro freshened it up, slapped a set of head studs on it and put on a fresh set of Bennet built high ports topped with an out of the box super victor.
    The carb was a Barry grant demon 850 dbl pumper, I read some of Brent's stuff and made some mods and stuck it off in a Vortech igloo box, I had laying around.
    The guys at Barry grant said it would never run right, but I had faith in Brent's shananigans and I was going to make it work.
    I had finally got my PTK outlaw drag radial kit that I had been waiting on for 7 months, which I understand have been long out of business, imagine that....
    I shoved all that together and put it on a dynamic mighty mite 2 C-4 with a PTC converter my buddy Brian had gotten me, and shoved all that in an 89 coupe, and after several long nights of trips up and down the road tuning and changing things, we ended up at the track on BP 93 octane and ripped off a 5.99 @ 124 mph. I was making shit happen, and that car scared the shit out of me on the big end, a stock bottom end out of a damned old 93 bronco, I couldn't believe it.
    And it was holding strong.
    So I'm going to do it again, this time with my son.
    Picked up another Bone stock 351 out of another bronco, just like old times.

7. Blowthru89

I'll have some more pics and updates this week, I know it's the same old story, single turbo fox, but the catch is, am I going to remember how to do all this after being absent all these years?
    We shall see. Stay tuned. Literally.