1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mild 408 turbo selection?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by MrBelvedere, Aug 16, 2022.

1. MrBelvedere

Hey fellas.

I asked this in FABO and I am just curious what the consensus is here. I'm considering a mild 408 for a B body belvedere. I got the 408 from a dart I purchased. It's a standard fare 360 based 408 with Edelbrock heads. It's not studded and it has no special block or parts other than it's a stroker. I am considering turbocharging this and putting it in my belvedere.

I have a set of Magnum Dakota exhaust manifolds I want to use for this. My intention is a responsive stroker with a mild cam and boost levels, to achieve in the neighborhood of 600-650 FWHP, which I believe is about max safe level for a stock based block. I would keep the rpm below 5500 and rely on boost and displacement to get the power levels. I think this is achievable.

So question is what lower cost turbo would get me to that power level without back pressures that would be severely damaging to the engine or turbo?

From everything I have read, at that displacement level I shouldn't need too much boost to get to 600, but at the same time that displacement is a lot of flow on the exhaust side. On the other hand, I don't want the lag nor do I need the power associated with a 1000 hp+ turbo.

Looking forward to seeing some suggestions.

2. B E N

I like the box stock s475 for it, would maybe be a little big but should be efficient, low back pressure, the genuine BW unit is pretty affordable or there are knock offs available. With the Edelbrock heads and a mild cam I expect it spools just fine, it won't be instant but in a street car that might be better. You could go down to an s472 or 468, but my experience was the IAT were a lot higher on a 400" ford.

Disney Lincoln and Mnlx like this.
  3. MrBelvedere

As in this one?

Screenshot_20220816-121702.png #ad

4. B E N

5. MrBelvedere

Why do I need a turbo rated for 950 HP on a motor I intend to get maybe 650 tops? What would the advantage be? I'm not arguing with anyone I'm more just curious what the pros and cons would be.

Summit has a s475 unit for about $650.

I mean, everything I've read suggests that even well prepped, studded, filled etc blocks are gonna come apart at 700 hp.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  6. B E N

Mostly just because you have to breathe out the exhaust side. My opinion is a 400" engine really needs a T6. You could probably get away with an s472. Also, I doubt the 475 actually makes 1000 on a 400" engine, might cap closer to 850.

You might get more opinions if you post this ? up in the turbo tech section near the top of the forum index.

7. Mnlx

It's rated at 950 at it's max boost level. Ratings mean nothing unless you plan to run the turbo for all it's worth, and even then, tell you very little. The S475 is what i'd choose.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  8. Disney Lincoln

x3 on the S475.