1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

My 1970 mustang CS single turbo build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Dsmless, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Dsmless

I'm transferring this build thread from the other forum that really did not get much support. And I really feel like this place will be more help as this is were everything is fabricated and made to fit. Just some background, This is my first old school car, came from turbo imports (evo, dsms) and really always wanted a classic car. Since moving to CA been working n this car as I can which is usally 2/3 hours early morning.

Build thread. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/923561-1970-couple-single-turbo-build.html#post7519185

will update with new pics when I get home from work. Still have to add base settings to MS2 (working off the base tune given on DIYAUTOTUNE) and try and start it.

2. Twin Turbo Skylark

Nice build I would post in the "builds section" it gets more traffic.... And re-post the pics on there...

3. BlownShovel

Please post up the pics when you get the time. Pics on linked site require login to see

4. Dsmless

Well, did some good progress today. Got the timing light out an base timing set, played around with megasquirt ignition features. Let it go thru a couple heat cycles an topped off all fluids. Checked for any leaks.I had a weird stalling when going into gear but after reading around the internet guess you have to set the IAC and also the idle adjustment screw on the side. Seams pretty straight foward from the description. So that will be another day. Pushed it outside and cleaned the garage up as some things have been laying there for a good year already. Heres how it looks so far.

5. Dsmless

Some current pictures of it all dusty but glad it runs now

IMG_1665.jpg #ad

IMG_1666.jpg #ad

IMG_1667.JPG #ad

6. 1966Mustang

Looks good!

7. Twin Turbo Skylark

Super cool nice work!!! It looks super slick!

8. Dsmless

Thanks, has been a good learning experience. Am currently tring to download and upload the pictures from the other build thread site. Were it shows how I installed an electric powersteering pump and all the LED lighting I did, the 2008 mustang gt front/rear disc brake upgrade and 97 mustang seats

9. Ragasus

Awesome car! (mine is similar)... I also did some LED changes externally. Awesome job on the sequential turn signals, too (I caught the youtube link from vmf).
    I'm interested to see the electric p/s pump, the exhaust, and the interior if you have the inclination (and the time, of course) to post those pics. I was considering doing a purely electric p/s.
    I am curious about how you dealt with the driver's side shock tower brace? I went with a different brace altogether because of that efi intake.
    It really is an awesome car, and nice work.

10. Dsmless

The power steering pump is off a volvo S40, 2000-2004. Its pretty straingt foward install, 3 wire hookup (ground constant 12v and pignition switch on 12v)and thats it, some adapters to hook up to factory pwer steering line Funny thing is that its got FORDMOCo cast into the side of it.

11. Dsmless

Got some crappy iphone pics, really not that good given the lighting in the garage. The exhaust is just some fox body mustang stock headers, 2.5 vband welded to the ends an the passengers side merges with the drivers to the turbo inlet. Has two other 2.5" vbands in between to allow easy removal. A single 3" downpope that snakes between the valve cover down by the c4 trans an into a 3" to two 2.5" exhausts. Goes into smittys patroit mufflers and out the stock location with weathered chrome cut downs

IMG_1731.JPG #ad

IMG_1729.JPG #ad

IMG_1728.JPG #ad

IMG_1726.jpg #ad

12. Dsmless

The piwer steering setup, here it is mounted in the foward inner fender area. The hardest part is to find the proper pressure fitting, it has a oring at the end so not a standard fitting. This pump is noticable with the engine off, once the engine is running you can hear it if you know what to hear for. Has plenty of tire clearance in all angles. I still have to think of a way to fill it without taking it out, maybe just pop a 1"hole in the fender wall just enough to get a hose funnel to top the reservoir up.

IMG_1741.jpg #ad

IMG_1738.jpg #ad

IMG_1737.jpg #ad

IMG_1735.jpg #ad

13. Dsmless

Took some pics of the redone LED tailighting. My first try I just made a 2x2" led square, although alot brighter than the 1157 bulb it was not that cool of an effect. So used yellow LED rope light segments on the ring of the red lens, for the marker lights(gives it a yellowish red hue). Then ran three strips of red LED rope segment lighting inside each housing, this is for turn/brake. On the front turn signals I put white LED segments for the marker lights as to act as parking lights, then made a arrow with yellow LED segments for the turn signals. Hard to get a picture while flashing, will upload a video of it when I can figure out how to. I have done LED segment lighting to a couple of other classic cars and everyone is a surprised to how much brightness is given even at daytime.

IMG_1750.JPG #ad

IMG_1748.jpg #ad

IMG_1747.jpg #ad

IMG_1744.jpg #ad

IMG_1745.jpg #ad

14. Dsmless

Sorry for picture/pist whorring. You saw the front disk brake setup, heres rhe rear. Used rhe mustang steve mounting kits for both, really like how the came out.

IMG_1752.jpg #ad

15. mustangman570

What does that electric power steering pump come off of?................. Nevermind, I quite being lazy and looked back and re-read your thread.

16. Dsmless

Took the car out for a cruise around the block, which was uneventful. But at least the lighting worked like a champ. Heres some out in the daylight pics, to get a picturw of the brightness

IMG_1770.JPG #ad

IMG_1768.JPG #ad

IMG_1766.JPG #ad

17. Ragasus

Awesome car! thanks again for putting up pics on the exhaust, p/s pump, bracing, and lights. What's next for it?

18. Dsmless

Thanks for the compliments. Next order is to get it to drive good, as its backfiring alot when accelarating. Really just want to enjoy driving it. For the future probly install an aode and aftermarket airconditioning.

19. Dsmless

Got some more time to work on car today, turns out my problem with backfiring was either 1- got a brand new conplete distributor from rockauto, 2- distributor rotor set it at the trailing edge of the #1 cyylinder spark plug post on the distributor cap. Dont know which one it was but my back firing is gone, engine idles very smooth an sounds very diffrent. Took it for a drive around the block and to the gas station and it runs great, makes up for all the times I felt like giving up.
    --
    -New issue, one of my greentop 42 lb injectors stuck open an hydroloked the engine, luckly it was idling. Changed them out for some stock 19lbs until another one comes in, so really will just stay off the boost. Also theres a slight miss at times, during idle an driving, its faint but there. Any ideas? A fouled sparkplug?

On the way back home gave old girl a wash, first one in 13 months

IMG_1858.JPG #ad

IMG_1859.jpg #ad