1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

dakotasteve

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dakotasteve, Sep 18, 2016.

1. dakotasteve

Hello I'm a newbe to the forum,but an older gearhead.Been out of the loop for quite a few years...My last experience building a turbo car was 40 yrs. ago when a ran a 1967 Rambler American W/a 258-6 W/a Corvair suck-through turbo...went well for what it was...beat a lot of v-8s..anyway now retired w/too much time, not much money, but was given a nearly cherry 1992 Dodge Dakota W/a 2.5 4cyl.I would love to build a408 twin turbo,but considering my retirement income a turbo 2.5 seems alot more viable. I realize this isn't a typical build but that never stopped me...I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with Dodge 2.2/2.5 turbo builds or anyone that's built one on a longitudinal motor.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

What are your overall power goals, and do you have a budget in mind? Is this for the street or track?

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

I say build it! I have a 88 Daytona and 86 shelby with the 2.2 and 5 speed and they are fun little cars!!! Sorry I do not have any detailed info to help you but I would love to see you do this!

4. 91DakBuilder

I haven't been on the forum as much as I used to, but as a Dakota guy, I can tell you that there are a few guys in the Dakota community that have built 2.4 turbo Dakotas. I can't comment on how much they spent, but once you build the turbo fold, that rest is fairly straight forward. Based on what you've mentioned about budget, I'd recommend trying to pickup a 2.4 turbo motor out of a PT Crusier GT or SRT-4 neon. Use the components dodge already engineered for you, then all you have to do is deal with the wiring aspect of the build, and have a bunch of fun to boot.