1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mustang ls1 swap wiring questions

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by pound4pound, Jan 6, 2015.

1. pound4pound

I have a swap in the works and was wondering how you guys have your ls starter wired in with bat relocated in trunk.

also how you guys have the factory alternator set up as well

2. JeffG

I have 2/0 copper positive cable that goes from battery to cutoff switch, cutoff switch to starter. 2/0 copper negative that bonds to the body, then goes to the engine block.

For the alternator, I used a #2 copper cable that goes from the alternator to the battery side of the cutoff switch. Some might think that is overkill, but no worries about it overheating if the alternator is charging back at a high current. Wiring it this way also allows the cutoff switch to properly function.

3. pound4pound

R u still using the for relay on the fire wall?

With the gm ls1 style alt and the wires what are you doing with the plug in connector

4. pound4pound

My engine came with the Delphi alt

5. pound4pound

Has 1 wire with a nut on a stud then also has a wire connector plug into it

6. pound4pound

7. JeffG

No relay on the firewall. Depending on which alternator you have, you can use either 1 or 2 wires in the plug and make it work. I had to supply 12v to one terminal, and a slightly stepped down voltage to another. I'll try and find the article that i found that explains it better.

8. JeffG

The 1 wire with nut and stud is where I used the heavy #2 copper. That is the main charge back wire. I think my alternator is capable of 100 or so amps and I didn't want any problems, thats why I used such a large wire.

9. pound4pound

I want to use my relay to run power for the lights and things on the car

So I have a wire from the bat up to starter. Then from that same terminal I have another heavy wire that goes up to the relay. Bat is grounded in the truck to frame. Engine is grounded to frame I have had the car turning over but it wouldn't turn over with key ignition switch I had it rigged up under the hood.

From this point what's next