1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mustang bumper mods for airflow...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by foxfan88, May 8, 2011.

1. foxfan88

Ive got a fox GT and the hot summer is coming around and as usual the car starts getting hot, i am pretty sure im not getting enough airflow to the radiator, the only straight shot for air is in the lower air scoop on the GT bumper and the 4" thick IC hogs that, i also swapped to an auto recently and thats getting things even warmer. If it warm out like 80* plus the car will get 220-230 sometimes, it doesnt really get out of control, just gets pretty warm. I can up to cruise speed and it will cool down, but it really does take a while. Also when it gets nice and toasty the fans come on full blast constantly even cruising 50+ mph (ive got a DCC controller with my fan) Im running the intrepid fans with alum 2 core rad and a 180 stat. the fans work pretty good and will cool the car if i stay out of it, once i start slappig the gas a boosting on it getting everything hot and heat soaked, its really hard to get it cooled back down.

Im curious if anyones got some pics or some suggestions on front bumper mods for airflow, i was thinking of cutting a few holes around the ford emblem, that will open up a staright path straight to the radiator (over top of IC) and also considered making some ducts of some sort directing air from the foglight holes to the radiator area (no foglights on car.) Or even extending the lower scoop larger by cutting it bigger on the top side to the molding section (cutting into the crash bumper slightly)

let me know and post up pics of what you guys have done, because i am pretty confident i'm not the only guy whos ran into cooling issues with turbos and such.

2. Disney Lincoln

Try a Mark VIII fan on there. Did the trick for me and bout 10000 other people.

Sealing off the radiator area so that air goes THROUGH the rad instead of around it will help.

Keep the factory air dam (large plastic do-hicky under the car) in place.

3. 302f150

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-8200CC

A local shop charged $20 to paint mine. Pics before and after of my car with it. Turbo and taurus fan, never gets to the middle of the gauge. I also have a 3" cowl hood, and you can see the heat coming out of it after the car has been run a while. The cobra grille insert is the best looking way to increase airflow imo.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. jridenour31

Re: Re: Mustang bumper mods for airflow...

I agree, even if it served no purpose, it still looks great.

5. mayer5oh

Mine is an lx but same idea. I removed every extra inch of plastic in front of the intercooler without making it painfully obvious that there is an intercooler. Also took out a good chunk of the headlight panel when I put in the cobra insert and put in air deflectors so all the air goes straight in there through the rad. Also running Taurus fan. Check out the last page of my build in my sig

6. foxfan88

I ended up drilling 3 holes on each side of the ford emblem, If i ever decide to run the cobra grill insert i'll have to cut it all out anyways, but the holes have a unique look. I drove it once since then and it seems to have made a difference.