1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone ever clean the fins of the intercooler?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by twinturbohow, Jul 29, 2007.

1. twinturbohow

Now bear in mind, my car has been turbocharged for about 15 years and I guess I should have looked at the intercoolers sooner. The intercoolers are mounted parallel to the road, just behind the radiator core support. I'm doing some repairs right now and I looked up at the underside of the intercoolers to see lots of dirt/oil/grease/crap plugging up all the fins and such. I tried using a garden hose on them to see if the pressure would blow the crap out, but no dice. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Howard

2. CW25

Can of degreaser and calfule use of a pressure washer would work.

3. D347643

wow, 15 years?? Aftermarket I assume...what kinda car?

4. Lucky13

If its that bad on the outside, you should take a look on the inside to. There bad for oil building up in them & restricting the air flow itself. Gas works best for cleaning the inside, just be sure to blow alot of air through them after you drain them. As far as the outside, the degressor suggestion should work fine. Just let it soak for awail & it should spray right off.

Jess

5. jaredsamurai

laquer thinner

6. buda_racing

Brake cleaner.

7. ltd351

toothbrush :D

8. JoNasty

I think I just used thinner on my dsm, when i had it. You will be so suprised at the crap that comes out of there.

9. Red91StangCT

DIESEL FUEL.