1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

fresh build starts then dies

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 1slosvt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 1slosvt

Finally got to start the car last night and ran into some problems. Fires right up runs for a few seconds and then dies. If I try to feather the throttle itll backfire and pop. Its a sbf with FAST classic sequential, msd 7al3,modified msd distributor, and msd crank trigger. Fuel is Weldon cable drive to 160s. The timing appears to be correct and the polarity looks correct on the distributor and crank trigger. Doesnt seem to matter if the fuel pressure is set at 80 or 40, it does the same thing. Not sure what else to look for at this point so any input at all is greatly appreciated.

2. racerron67

i dont know any thing about fast system (just the mega squirt) but the after start enrichment. are you adding enough fuel. is your wide band o2 warm enough to read when it shuts off if so what is you AFRs

3. 1slosvt

Vant get a good afr reading but the timing looks to be at 36 degrees.

4. BADASS355CIZ28

try starting it with the map sensor disconnected
    could be a map sensor setting

5. 1slosvt

Il try the map sensor and see what it does. Anyone have an idea what the base fuel and spark tables should look like? All of the parameters were altered by the previous owner,and Im a newb lol

6. racerron67

I run a megasquirt 1 ,so I probably won't be able to help you there

7. BADASS355CIZ28

I too run a megasquirt 2 system..

8. racerron67

I'm getting ready to run a megasquirt 3 I have to buy all the stuff for it though daughter card X card trigger wheelI'm retrofitting a cam synchronizer from a 302 to a 351 Windsor

9. Drac0nic

Is the engine cold when you're doing this? If so try throwing say 3% more fuel into the warm up enrichment at the temp it's at and see if it holds out any better.

10. 1slosvt

Ya the engine was cold. Wouldn't rev either tho. Added some fuel to warm up and its much better cold. Then the tps rate of change was way off. sounds a hundred times better. Still waiting on a driveshaft to test some more. Thanks to everyone for all of their replies.