1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mud racing .. would megasquirt be worth it school me

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by bigben200, Jan 25, 2015.

1. bigben200

so im building a turbo 351w looking at running a 7875 ebay turbo c6 transmission going into a 83 reg cab ranger on 85 ford bronco frame now im buildin this to do 250-300ft pits im wondering how easy is mega squirt to deal with it is it really worth doing it over a hangar 18 carb had a line on a carb but now fell threw so double thinking my fuel delivery ideas

2. Mnlx

I'm a big fan of the ms, and with a little time its easy to wire, and tune with, but with a sbf I think you'll be able to make more hp/dollar with the carb. Carbs work very well in a racing application, and stock efi intakes are not that great for the sbf. If money allows the ms is great, but if a budget build, its very tough to beat a blow thru carb imo.

3. bigben200

and that's my other deal is this ia budget spend as little as I gotta trade for parts and so forth

4. Mnlx

EFI adds up fast... If you mod your own carb, blow thru is very budget friendly.

5. Matt Cramer

The MS2 and MS3 tuning software is about as easy to use as any other laptop-tuned standalone; the MS1 is a bit harder to set up, particularly if using advanced features.

The main advantage of a carburetor in this situation is that they're good at making power on a budget. The main advantages a MegaSquirt would have are better response off-throttle if you have to pedal the truck to avoid spinning your tires and just digging a hole in the mud, and the ability to use the MegaSquirt as a substitute for other electronic black boxes you may want to run.