1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Relays and wiring

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by TwinSin, Oct 15, 2022.

1. TwinSin

Anyone know of a good place to get electrical supplies from? Relays, wire, connectors.

2. Joel_400

Local auto parts store or farm supply store such as TSC or Rural king if you have them around you. Even Walmart has a limited selection of that stuff for reasonable. Menards used to have a quite a bit in stock but haven't been there lately. They were probably the cheapest I've ever found. Fastenal as well? Easier to be able to go pick up what you need when you need it than wait is my motto! Plus it helps keep those more local businesses open!
    Joel

3. underpsi68

I wouldn't just look at pricing. Try to get quality parts. A lot of junk from China now, even wire.

4. ummduh

Ive bough a lot of my stuff from waytekwire.com

If I need to do a restock and buy a lot of stuff at once.

Odds and ends or need fast I look for good brand stuff from the usual scumbags.

5. Wallace

I second waytek

6. B E N

I usually yank relays out of junkyards, just grab them when I go if I am getting low on stock. Cheap and high quality.

Buying heat shrink in bulk is a good route to go if you do a lot of wiring. I use Wohr tube, glue lined stuff. A whole spool usually costs about what an "assortment" does, but you get a lot more and can make whatever lengths you want.

Same deal with connectors, buy online in bulk. Local suppliers are a lot more expensive. Same with solder.

Leash electronics makes some very nice pre-built panels, fuse blocks and relay parts. There is a lead time but the parts are great.

7. F4K

An OEM relay box from junkyard is my favorite
    I never use aftermarket panels, exposed metal boards, gaudy wiring showing off, fuses and lights and switching and... crap. Its "Race car" stuff, but to me a race car is something that you are paid to drive and all the parts are free. As a hobby car builder, performance enthusiast, I prefer to drive my build every single day like a normal car, and that means no exposed wires/fuses/switches/etc... I dont even have gauges exposed and the boost controller is in the glove box. You could say 'sleeper' but it isn't intentional... I just prefer power felt and not seen or heard after doing it for 25 years.

here is an example of my favorite SAAB Relay box. Got this for $18 or whatever out of a old saab in the junkyard.
    [​IMG]#ad

Notice it's got a nice 60-amp fuse and 60-amp relay. I dedicated this for the fuel pump of course. Installed to the trunk where it can hot-wire from the battery a couple feet and full power, least resistance. Has an OEM cover for water proof container.
    It also has 3 other relays and fuses rated 40amps.For say, water injection in the trunk, Security relay in the trunk, or whatever. I prefer OEM water proof relay boxes with extra slots for when I add things later so I don't have to re-wire stuff. Just connect the wire and pop in the fuse.

Heres the glove box with fan relays, other security relay, main power fuses for stuff like coils, injectors, ECU, and the boost controller
    [​IMG]#ad

This way, stuff is accessible, but out of sight. You can inspect the fuse without fuss. Notice the water proof cover on the OEM relay box below the fuses, housing fan relays and fuses as well.
    I Package everything tight, but keep it accessible so its easy to diagnose issues, using OEM parts for reliability. I put 60k miles on this wiring so far not a single issue, I Never look at it or touched it again.