1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD went bad today, question on way car is running without it?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 91Trunkster, Nov 5, 2006.

1. 91Trunkster

After gasing up at the 76 and adding my octane booster I went about 3 blocks, shifted into third and then a loud poof (sounded like a backfire, but it was quiet), dignosed it down to no spark and then bypassed the MSD 6AL and it started right up. Drove it around for a while and it would consistenly fall flat on it's face @ around 4.5 - 5k rpm, it felt like it did when it stalled only it kept running, it felt like I hit a wall, is this because I now didn't have enough spark? :huh: And to boot the gasket between the tank and filler neck started to leak, gotta love these turbo cars, it's awesome when they run though. Thanks in advance.

2. Stang Seller

Probably not enough spark, cylinder pressures might be too high for the stock setup to ignite above those revs. Check the plugs and see how they look, gap should be set at .028"-.032". What heat range plug are you using now?
    SS

3. Robert1320

How was it wired up?
    And were is your battery?

4. CW25

Without the MSD you just don't have enouph spark power. Replace the MSD and go again.

5. rickyhaiber

yeah...make sure you also check your plugs while you're at it

6. 91Trunkster

Plugs are the one range colder than stock autolites and the battery is under the hood, it's wired normal, plugs are gaped @ 35, will gap @ 32, I will replace them when I get a new ignition.

7. phate

If you have to go out and buy a whole new ignition box, you may want to look into Mallory to save a few dollars. That's only if MSD isn't going to replace yours for free ;)

8. Racer99

Stock ign box gap to .025.

9. PEARL MUSSIN

Is there really any power difference in spark plug gap? Say a .035 gap to a .020? I have always gapped mine at .020-.025 even with the MSD..

Jeremy

10. rickyhaiber

The spark will just be a little stronger since the tip is closer to the plug itself...so I guess it just helps it from blowing out as easily?

11. nuckifuts

If the MSD is bad i would send it back. they have on two occasions replace mine twice instead of repairing it, both times out of warranty.

12. Clutch1911

my friends just went bad this week so i am loving this thread.

13. Lucky13

This sounds like its blowing the spark out, tighten your gap until you get a new box. Might even check to make sure timing is where it is suppost to be also.

Jess