1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Air/Water Intercooler????

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by 502 JET, Dec 17, 2006.

1. 502 JET

2. Long Island stang

I was also checkin these out would like to know too

3. 1QwikBu

no way in hell that little ass thing is good for 2k hp .... but in a jetboat with a constant supply of cold water it would probably work for you

4. clay

5. Tims86-9.80

The water supply is good, since it will always be cold, but the amount of air it will move is important. I don't think you will move the air to keep the engine happy or to make the power your looking for.

6. nova

do not want to hijack this thread but that scares me a little, it seems close to the same dimensions as the young's intercooler i run that is rated at 1200 hp. the ebay cooler looks a lot shorter but much thicker. im hoping my cooler wont be a restriction @ 1000rwp

7. jim wingo

i was curious if the a/w i/c's use a less restrictive core, since an a/a is much larger, you would think it would flow a lot more air

8. Tims86-9.80

Well I guess it was not fair for me to say it will not. I really don't know anything about that cooler. I also feel I am running a cooler that could be upgraded, to move more air, I think????

The thing to remember is that the cooler has to move air and cool it before it will work. The amount of air is as important as how cool it will get it. Theres no standard for rating cooler cores that I know of, which is why you can see a 300.00 cooler stated to support 5000Hp. See where I am going. So I would be careful, people pay good money for coolers not because they have extra money because you get what you pay for. Just a thought.

9. nastyrx

i dont know what the deal is with todays intercoolers,, we just got our PT4000 in from precision the other day,, cant belive how small it is compared to ones ive seen. I guess theres been a change in thoughts on how they work.

10. Tims86-9.80

That cooler right there is bad, it moves a ton of air and will cool the air charge. The cooler does both, moves a ton of air, cools the charger very well, and is 25 lbs less then other comparable coolers.

What I think you are starting to see is a company who decided it was time to build a cooler for whare we are using them for, race cars. In the past they were industrial cores used in a race car. See where I am going. Just a thought.

11. gryphon68

Nova and NastyRX, how big are the cores on your intercoolers?

Guessing, Nova's core looks like 6x12 cross section? With two 6" thick cores? That would make the ebay 75% less flow area and half the cooling (depth).

12. 502 JET

13. nova

those are the dimensions with 3.5" in and outs. i hope its doing its job, it usually has a little frost on it after a pass if not that it has a lot of condensation, i dont know if thats a good or bad sign or no sign at all.

14. nastyrx

Everyone is trying to get in on the action of intercoolers nowadays!! I mean it has to be a multi million dollar industry at this time!! I would like to know if anyone has tried one of those intercoolers yet or not though.Would be nice to see if it could help. I plan to buy one this year and i know you get what you pay for ,, thats for sure,, the pt 4000 was close to 3200bucks!! I dont need anything that big,, a 2000 would most likely sufice for me. What you think tim??

15. Tims86-9.80

The PT3000 should be more then enough with room to grow, I have not looked into the PT2000. Team Z is a Percision dealer, so he can get the turbos and coolers. They seem to make the best coolers on the market at this time. They flow huge air and huge water and are very good at cooling the air with little to no pressure drop. That to me is the most important part, they don't drop pressure, thus hurting air flow.

I would continue doing your research and only get it once. I would leave room for growth. I am thinking of changing coolers because I am not sure my cooler is moving the air the combination can. I know the air charge is cool enough but I need more flow.

Let me know what you figure out.

By the way the car is flying!!!

16. chiseledperf

Tim is correct on the pressure drop, i use the same garrett cores on my units and its very minimal, hard to believe these small cores can cool that much, i dont know about that "million dollar industry" i'm doing something wrong then, Nastyrx, pls check out my units at www.chiseledperformance.net, best prices around and they come standard with bracing,

Merry Xmas
    robert

17. Tims86-9.80

Robert and I have talked about intercoolers and the coolers he builds. I like his product, and he is correct the core is the key, and from our conversation he is using one of the best available cores. I don't think the Core in the PT Coolers are out to the public, I beleive they developed them just for their coolers.

I must say for the money and performance, not much will keep up the Chiseledperformance coolers!!!

18. chiseledperf

Tim, thanks for the props man, the cores precision use on their 2000,3000,4000 are the same Garret ones i use, their not top secret or anything, they (PTE) just wont sell cores anymore to the public like they used to, but i give my hats off to the quy or guys that does the welding on the pt ic's, some of the best welds i've ever seen!,besides mine of course :2thumbs:, one more advantage to these smaller ic's is they dont hold as much water as the older units, for example,
    my 2500hp ic weighs 55lbs and with water about 80lbs!
    my 3000hp ic weighs 33lbs and with water about 43lbs,
    you just shed about 40lbs off the car, makes a big difference on the full race car setups, we're gonna try one out on Brian and Mike Brown's car soon and see how much it will pick up?

robert

19. Tims86-9.80

Thats cool, I thought they were different

If they are the same core can you build them to the same size, I wonder if they just figured out that x core is needed to get the same cooling affect, even if you have three times the core, you are only going to get x cooling.

Let me know how the testing goes. I would be intrested to see. Also I have access to a dyno, and I know he will be dynoing an engine so if you have two coolers he can run them on the same engine in the same day with the same set up to see if there is a difference in temp and power.

20. chiseledperf

I use either a 750hp core and a 1000hp core, so i put two or three together and that gives the hp rating. yeah thats the plan, just do a ic swap and see what the difference is , should be very interesting
    laters
    robert