1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD problems.........

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by mtrain, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mtrain

Last week I tried to crank my new engine. This engine was running before when I bought it, just break in miles, but I changed the heads, and cam.

The engine already had a new MSD dizzy, and 6AL, plus a Blaster coil.

Last week I couldn't get the engine to fire. It would intermittently back fire through the pipes.

Found out I had the cam timing 180deg out. I had to charge the battery again as it went down from all of that turning the starter.

So today I got everything back together, double checked everything, and tried again. Nothing.

Checked the firing order, tested for "hot" from ign switch to 6al box, and batter, then ground.

Nothing really was changed from last week until now, and last week the engine was getting some kind of spark as it was backfiring.

I just can't figure it out. I do have the cam advance 4 degrees, but that is it.

2. mtrain

I don't know if its getting a full 12v or not as my volt meter is dead. I will borrow one from a friend, and check it tomorrow.

I also did another test just now.

I did {per, MSD instructions} the test where you turn the key on, and pulled the wire from the coil at the dizzy. Then I took the two wires that go to the dizzy from the 6al box, and disconnected them from the dizzy.

I then made a jumper wire, and inserted these into the lead from the 6al box that I took off the dizzy.

Then with the key on, I pulled one of the jumper wires. There was a good blue spark from the coil wire.

So now I'm pretty well stumped. However, there is a crack in the lower cap, not the actual distributor cap. Would that cause problems?

3. Mnlx

No spark at plugs while cranking? Things you can check..... make sure you have bat voltage while cranking, and you should be able to check pickup coil with volt meter reading ac voltage at the lead coming from the dist.

4. mtrain

Well, I did all of the tests, and the pickup failed on the last test.

5. xr8tt

MSD and ignition .. Seems a common issue !!!

6. 1968turbostang

Friend of mine had an issue that sounds kinda like this, ends up he had the firing order clockwise and it was supposed to be counter clockwise. Just something to make sure of if you haven't.

7. Mnlx

I thought there was a thread here somewhere about the Msd pickup coil failures......

8. Disney Lincoln

There was. They suck. Replace the coil ith one from teh parts store for a mid 70's Ford and it's a direct fit. Any of the Duraspark type distributors have them. Better yet... Go to the junkyard and get a real Ford part and stick it in there and you should be golden.

9. 94sleeperstang

Im going through some msd problems myself https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/other-tech-questions/burning-up-msd-ignitions-like-no-tomarrow!!!-wtf!/

10. Disney Lincoln

I sure do like my Crane and Accel ignition systems!!!!!

11. mustang-junky

Try the MSD tech line. They are reasonably helpful, and they speak english pretty good too.

Jess

12. 94sleeperstang

I might have to m ake that switch soon