1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

f#@k i need some help, broken stud

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by gravelrash, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gravelrash

while building my new manifold tonight i have broken 1 of the hi-tensile studs that hold the dump pipe on. any ideas on how i get this little bastatrd out of there?
    the stud has broken off just below the surface of the exhaust housing.

btw, its a Holset if it matters.

cheers Greg

2. slow8.0

Not understanding what your saying. can you post a pic?

3. gravelrash

yeah sorry. the exhaust housing has 4 studs screwed into the back of it for the dump pipe. i have boken one of these studs off. :doh:

4. wantabe

use a little chisle ,and tap around ,screwing it out..

5. T.J. 87-GT

Find some nuts that have an ID close to the size of the stud and weld it to the stud on the inside. Good heat is the key. I have been doing this for years and never have use a drill/chisel or easy out. It will even work if the stud is below the surface. You need a MIG though.You may have to do this a couple of times to get it to work this is why a few nuts are needed.
    T.J.

6. Nisan_Catron

that is the way to do it, the heat breaks everything free, pull it out while still warm

7. gravelrash

thanks guys will give that a go. i near shit when i realised its a high tensile stud and a drill bit and easy out wasnt going to do jack.

8. wantabe

dont weld it in, by accident.. :angel:

9. turbofreek

Are you saying its sunk into the turbo and not sticking out in any way? I don't think you could weld it if its Dow in the hole

10. T.J. 87-GT

YES you can. I have done it many times. You will see what I mean when you place the nut on the stud. This is how I changed all my exh. studs on my 5.4 superduty. I had one that was 1/4" below the surface in the head and got it out this way without a drill.
    T.J.

11. stangman9897

They do make drill bits that will drill it and use an ezy-out , i broke a flywheel bolt off in the crank and had to go to a machine shop supply house and buy a solid carbide 1/8 bit it was like 18.00 for the bit and it will drill an ARP bolt out.

drill bit 001.jpg #ad

12. Turbohwagon

I have built up tack welds on broken bolts before and then welded a nut to the stack of tack welds. It's alot easier with aluminum, a little trickier if it is broken off in steel.

13. slow8.0

Extractoly and a tig welder is what I use.

14. drag lc

yes i use a tig and weld washers on the broken stud through the centre of the washer then weld the nut to the washer works a treat to get all the broken studs out on old ford flathead blocks.hehe

15. cat herder

There are also special stick electrodes for this, some kind of magic flux keeps weld from sticking to the walls of the hole.

16. Drac0nic

If it's cast iron the steel bolt will melt before the housing does.....

17. stangman9897

^^^ I have taken a cutting torch with a small tip and blow a water pump bolt out of the front of a block, like he said the bolt will melt before the cast iron will and if you are carefull it will even clean the threads out and then chase it with a tap to clean them up. Old school trick used to be done all the time.

18. xr8tt

I've drilled through stud which seems to loosen the thread..

19. Turbohwagon

Since we are on the subject, i've heard if you take a parafin wax candle and heat the area with a torch, then let the candle melt against the bolt/block that the wax will seep in and loosen the broken stud/bolt. Anyone ever do this?