1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD 6LS for ignition with BS3 controlling fuel?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by turbo_scholar, Oct 4, 2013.

1. turbo_scholar

Yeah, kinda dumb, but hey, the parts are laying there at my disposal so I figured what the heck. The BS3 harness I have is for an LT1 motor, and I already have the 6LS (6010 I think).

From what I can recall I would need a new harness if I wanted to run my LS1 with the BS3, but I already have the 6LS setup. I'm thinking that the yellow tach wire for the 6LS would give the BS3 ecu the tach signal needed to do its job.

Will this work?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. TurboNova

The BS3 is looking for a specific RPM signal from a 4x pattern. You would get that from a crank trigger or distributor. It can also be set to TFI or Optispark that both provide it a signal also. It won't really work from just a tach wire. You could fit the front of the engine with a crank trigger to provide the BS3 a crank signal and do the spark with the MSD. It would work but not the optimal setup for tuning.

For using BS3 with LS and without the MSD the ecu is different with two harnesses one for the coils and one for the engine.

3. turbo_scholar

Spoke with MSD and was told that the 6010 puts out a 4x square wave v8 tach signal. So does this mean it will work?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013