1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD 6530 prog. ????????????????

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by strokedmalibu, Nov 15, 2015.

1. strokedmalibu

thinking of switching to a msd 6530 just so I can use its features to help me tune 1st turbo car

Please what are your guys opinions would like PRO'S and CONS'
    thanks Greg

2. ss496

The main issue I have for it on a street car is that it can only pull 25* of timing...hear me out...

1. You set your timing to max advance you could ever want.....in cases I tune street cars.....its common for me to run in the low 50's* for say 3000 RPM and low loads (high vacuum...15"hg or about 8 PSIA).....I pull 25* from 52* that gets me 27* (because you ramp timing out as load/manifold pressure increases like a vacuum advance)...which is fine for low boost set ups.............however if I want to run less timing under max boost I have to retard the distributor and consequently run less low load advance. Or I could still have the vacuum advance connected and just pull timing under boost (greater than 14.7 PSIA)...but that kinda defeats the purpose of the system.

2. the system only retards timing and takes a little getting used to thinking that way (im accustomed to timing tables via EFI). I think it would be helpful if a revision was done to the programing/ that allowed you to input your max advance (or offset) and you then input the actual timing you wanted to run on a single table. That way I dont have to do math in my head to figure out what timing im running under a given condition...........then have your launch retard etc work separately.

Other than that it is a wonderful system.

3. 434chevelle

I most definately agree with this!

4. blown385

Just lock it at 36 degrees or so . If you want fuel mileage go EFI

too much timing swing can cause rotor phasing .

5. BlownShovel

I recently switched to 6530 after my old timing box died.

I like the cruise, idle, and driveablity of full sweep curve.
    I also like the start retard.
    Timing can also be manipulated by rpm
    Timing can be manipulated by boost level

Overall I feel I probably gained more by using the HVC2 coil as I think my old blaster was week - at least the car became very difficult to launch upon swap even with same tune. I then used the 6530 to drop a bunch of timing at launch to try to soften the first 100 ft.