1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MSD 6530 or MS1 for timing control on basic blowthrough 351?

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 87turbonotch, Jul 1, 2015.

1. 87turbonotch

I have an 87 Mustang notch that if/when it see's the road again will be powered by a turbocharged 351. I have most of the parts I need on hand, but as slow as my project has progressed, timing management systems have progressed quite a bit.

Right now I have a carb that's ready to go (as far as a base tune is concerned), and an MSD 6al box in the car.

What I'm asking is if I should replace the 6al with the programable 6al-II or go with the MS-1 that is also programable and can data log (and work with the current 6al, as well as let me go EFI down the road)?

2. racerron67

i would go with msd, since you not controling fuel. the only reason to go ms1 if some day you going to switch out the carburator.

3. 87turbonotch

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards the MS1 for that very reason that a year or so after I get the car on the road I would like to make the change to EFI (maybe).

4. blown385

Look at the Holley ECU .

It will run CNP . This can be done fairly cheap and is way better than the distributor ............ just sayin'

Data logging is your friend . :D

5. 87turbonotch

Thanks, I'll check that out. I would like to log as much data as possible when I get this thing together.