1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

msd 6530 blow through timing graphs

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by stangboy86, Oct 9, 2011.

1. stangboy86

id like to see how guys are setting up their timing curves, maybe make a timing graph database, a place where we can compare graphs. here is mine let me know what you think

atmosphere here is 14.0, base timing at 34 degrees, currently making 8-9 psi, car sees mostly street duty
    383w 8.8:1cr
    bws480
    canefield heads that flow 3xx @.700 lift
    cammotion .580 lift hyd roller turbo cam
    holley 850 dp, brents davis metering blocks, annular boosters
    tko600
    93 pump gas

2. 93weezer

Hello, I could be wrong but it looks like your run retard (start retard) won't see full retard till 100rpms. Is that what you want it to do? You need to move the start retard point on zero rpm down the side of the graph and put the plot dot at your total degrees of retard that you want and then adjust your other plot lines accordingly to were you want your timing to come back in, assuming its 200rpm. What is your dist. locked down at?

3. brianj5600

Here are mine with 42 degrees locked, 9.2cr, 351w, AFR185, [email protected] .512" 112lsa 107icl, 93 oct. I agree about moving the 0 rpm dot down. I also had erratic idle speed when the timing was not constant around idle rpm. Timing changes idle speed and yours is moving 8 degrees between 450 and 800. When mine was like that it died more often since if it fell below the target rpm it also started losing timing.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

4. stangboy86

for some reason i cant get the first dot any closer to zero. it wont allow me to remove the first dot up on the top and it wont allow me to add a dot any further to the left. maybe im doing something wrong? thanks guys thats exactly what kind of feedback i was hoping for

5. brianj5600

Click on the dot. It should turn red and then you can drag it down. That goes for any dot on the graph.

6. stangboy86

hahahahaha im a dumbass! thanks brian! i got it now

7. stangboy86

fixed original post... thanks for the help weezer

8. brianj5600

I would continue to pull timing at the same rate past 26psia. I actually pull timing faster at boost beyond what I expect it to make. I only run pump gas so I want as little timing as possible if boost goes higher than the gate.

9. stangboy86

changed the graphs a lttle bit

10. brianj5600

I was kind of hoping more people would post graphs.

11. Greg O

Are you guys not having any problems pulling 20* with the box? I got a cross fire on start up and broke a tooth off my flexplate!

Also, why would you not roll full timing back in sooner?

i have mine pull 10* from 1-500 RPM then back to full timing from 500 on.

12. stangboy86

i agree brian i was hoping to see more as well... greg honestly i wasnt sure if you could run that much timing down below 2k under a load safely thats kinda why i began this thread, to help me better understand

13. blown385

exactly how my 7531 start retard is set up . ( default menu )

It goes back to full timing ( 36º ) at 800rpm .

No cranking issues at 26º 9:1 cr

14. blown385

Heres my boost retard leaving on 6 psi and making 18psi total . C-16 fuel .

15. brianj5600

I have seen a few post where people are saying pull all you can on the TB. I am thinking of trying this. My 2 step is set at 3500 and logs show 3460ish on the brake. Timing will stay in until 3300, drop 25 degrees by 3400, at 3500 it will start ramping in and be all in by 3600. Unfortunately my car is in TN and I am in KC, KS. I hope to get to the track the last Friday of the month.

[​IMG]#ad

16. blown385

I think you want more timing on the t-brake , not less .

17. TDmkr496

I'm not a 100% sure, but I have heard of people pulling alot of timing out on the TB to help spool up but I have also heard that it drastically reduces the life of the turbo.....I'm not saying thats right or wrong but just what I heard.

I just put a new turbo on my car so I dont know how well its going to spool, but I have thought about someday trying something like this if I had a spooling issue....

18. Greg O

Well, under 2 k under load could mean a lot of different things. If the load is enough that it goes to boost the boost retard curve would pull the timing for you. Otherwise, the load would be ralatively light. I am a Chevy guy so I don't know Fords that well (I hear they like less timing), but I have 1/2 point more compression than you and I could run mine at 38* all day long as long as I am out of boost. That includes full throttle load. When I was N/A I ran 38* locked at the track at 10:1 on pump gas.

If you are worried about it by all means don't do it. I'm not trying to cnvice you to do it, just sharing my experience.

19. stangboy86

i took your guys advice and fully ramped in my timing by 700rpm. i cant describe how much better it runs. im really just trying to get it pretty close so that when i someday get to a dyno at least im not starting from scratch. thanks for all the input..mucho appreciated