1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MS3 Ford Mod motor with MS3X? (Form DIYautotune)

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by 32V, Nov 28, 2015.

1. 32V

I lucked out and my wife bought me this kit off of Amazon. Guess she does listen...lol

http://www.amazon.com/MegaSquirt-Programmable-Management-Unassembled-DIYAutoTune/dp/B005OS5CRO/

Its going on a 4V 4.6 Mod motor. 90% strip with occasional drives to local car shows. I am currently reading the Mega manual before I build...

Questions:
    If I get the MS3X expansion card to add to the MS3 kit above is there any thing else I will need to get for it to work on the Mod motor?

I also need to know can I just add a wideband gauge to monitor AFR if connected to the MS3 box?

I plan on using the Megasquirt boost controler.

I will be using the stock 4-tower coils.

Aftermarket fuel system with A1000 in a sumped tank. Any suggestions on how to wire it in?

And is my understanding correct that I will not need the stock ECU at all? I didnt think any of the gauges work off of the ECU.

Any help is appreciated!
    Matt

2. 1hcam

If you were going to run the X card and have any hopes of making good power one day Id just go ahead and run a LS coil and be done with it. I'm not a fan of the boost controller. That's my opinion though. The wide band is very simple to wire in, it's pretty much one wire. You can remove your stock ecu completely or leave it in, either way. These diagrams is pretty much all you'll need as far as wiring goes.

After we get past the holidays I'm going to try to replace my MS3 with a Holley. MS has been good to me but I think it's time to get with the times. Mine could be for sale at some point soon FYI.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. ashford

i you will be using the stock coils you will need a quadspark, if using cop you will need 2. ford coils are ultimately weak though, if using ls coils no driver is needed

you will need a wideband controller, ms don't have on built in they just read off any controller

the ms boost control is a royal pita to tune in but once it is boost can be controlled any amout of way, time from launch, vss, gear, or throttle position

ms3x is native high z injectors, if running low z you will need a versafueler or resistors

4. 32V

Thanks for the great info 1hcam, and ashford! Looks like I'm going to go with LS coils and different boost controller.

Hcam, I read up on your where your at now with your build and am seriously impressed. If I make it to the 8 sec range I will be really happy. You actually gave me other advise a few years back on my build, but put it all on the back burner for career advancement. Now I got my dream job all locked down I'm bringing my turd out of the mothballs...

Thanks
    Matt

5. 1hcam

No problem. I would go with a different boost controller and LS coils if you plan to get serious. I'm sure there are guys that will say the MS BC is great but they must have a lot more patience and/or smarter than me. lol I've had nothing but problems with my Innovate wideband. Everyone has been telling me to ditch it and get a AEM for what it's worth. I went low z injectors with a AEM injector driver. I do have a new set of resistors for my old injectors that I decided not to use.

6. Matt Cramer

1hcam - what firmware are you on? The 1.4.0 had a major change to the boost control code. Also, what features are you trying to get with Holley? MS3 already has a lot of the features planned on the (not yet out) "Holley 2015 upgrade" thread on Yellow Bullet. :D

7. 1hcam

I'm pretty sure it's the 1.4.0. I updated it when I got my new motor running so it's been 4-5 months. When I tried to make the BC work it was with some older firmware. I have an AMS2000 now. I'm really interested in the fuel % correction with the holley. I'm having problems with the Datalogger cutting out. The timer stays on track but what is recorded during that time does not record. Tried swapping cords but no luck.

8. Matt Cramer

Are you talking about ethanol % correction, per cylinder tuning, or fuel pressure correction? They're already in MS3.

With the data logging problem, are you using the SD logging or logging with a laptop?

9. Matt Cramer

And BTW, if you're looking to use CO2 based boost control or dome pressure boost control like what Holley usually uses, they just put out some test code on the MSExtra.com forum for you to try out.