1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MS Pro Traction Control

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by KEVINS, Apr 8, 2020.

1. KEVINS

I've got the DIY Hall Effect sensors installed and reading the wheel stud heads. The rear sensor is working while on jack stands so I think the front one should be working too.

1. How does the system know how much timing to pull during activation? Do I need to create a timing table or ?? telling the system to pull timing in 2* increments or will it automatically pull timing on it's own?

2. How do I go about calibrating the front sensor speed reading to the rear sensor speed reading?

ks

2. Russell

I am no help, can you post a picture of your front wheel sensor? I want to add a speed sensor and I am looking for ideas

3. KEVINS

[​IMG]#ad
    I have a machine shop so I can make pieces which is what I did.
    One thing that I read is that some studs have a debossing on the heads which sometimes the sensor may pick up on causing false readings so I ground the heads smooth.

ks

Russell likes this.
  4. ashford

out of curiosity, why did you go through the trouble of making a mount and buying a $50 sensor when you already have a ready made abs sensor and tone ring?

5. KEVINS

The car doesn't have the factory sensors anymore. I researched using them b/c mounting would have been simpler but when the rearend was built the tone rings couldn't be installed. So to keep things easy for me I just used the DIY sensors on both wheels and made mounts, this was the easy part. The hard part for me is getting the system actually working, thus my reason for the thread.

For the rear I simply machined a spot face on the rear brake bracket so it was flat then drilled a hole and welded a nut for the sensor to screw into.
    [​IMG]#ad

ks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  6. ashford

it would be best for you to turn on traction control set it for vss slip and see the options, you can pull timing, boost, add fuel and/or spark cut based off % vss slip vs time

7. KEVINS

Already done that. I just need help with the original posted question.

ks

8. ashford

1. you probably havent set it to slip % with adjustable tables yet, when you do it is pretty self explanatory.
    slip X time is defined %slip multiplied by time
    for example you are going 100mph and the rear tires are going 102.5 that is 2.5% slip now to multiply that by time if you do that for 1/10 of a second (which is equivalent to 10X .01 sec) that would be 25 slipxtime in that window, with default settings this is minimu slip and would pull @3 degrees. now if this went on for .2 seconds it would be 50 and would pull @7 degrees. second example is the rear tires are going 105 mph for .1 sec this would be 50, so on so forth. if you are using boost control this gets pretty creative.

2. input number of teeth on ring and tire diameter this should get nearly perfect settings, to verify it drive it around and compare vss1 and 2 if there is a discrepancy adjust tire diameter till it fits.
    traction.jpg #ad

9. KEVINS

That's what I needed! The Control Settings were done but it was the Reactions that I didn't know about.

1. Yea! I knew there had to be a table or ?? to define the reactions, Thank you!
    Are the values that you posted in the screen capture a decent place to start with? I just don't want to be so far out of the ballpark that something gets hurt.

2. When comparing VSS1/2 is it just the speed (mph) of what these two sensors are reading or is there a different gauge that should be used? The reason I ask is b/c while the rear tires were off the ground on jackstands then adjusting the rear tire diameter from 28" down to 15" tall never affected the MPH reading in TS..

ks

10. ashford

1. the posted values are default. i havent used this on my personal car but another i helped out on it wildly changes with different tire construction. slicks like a bit of slip at all times(that and their effective diameter changes quite a bit) so low on the start and rapid slope up about 2/3 way across the map( a bit of experimenting is needed for this) radials are less able to "rehook" with some slip so their slopes start a bit more agressive, hold then ramp up.

2. the coding is based of mph not rpm or tooth count, when changing tire diameter or tooth count a reset of the ms is required to take effect, its not like a ve or timing table more like ignition type, cylinder count or injector settings.