1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MS guys, base timing question

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by bgjohnson, May 29, 2013.

1. bgjohnson

Just a real quick question about base timing. So base is 10*, then on MS when it reads 0 it really means 10 since thats what you put the distributor at. Do you MS guys run 0* base timing just so the ms reads exaxtly what the timing really is? Or is there a setting I can change? Since i'm tuning for boost now, I want exact timing on my MS timing table, instead of just adding 10* in my head.

2. Matt Cramer

You should set the trigger angle (or tooth #1 angle depending on your spark mode) so the spark timing you see in TunerStudio matches what you see with a timing light. Then adjust the timing table directly.

3. bgjohnson

Matt I'm using the TFI module to trigger spark. If I have my base at 10*, does that mean I set my trigger angle to 10 also?

4. bgjohnson

Come on guys, I just want confirmation on this so I don't blow my engine up.

5. Mnlx

As far as I know, the TFI module doesn't command any timing changes, so yes, set your timing table to command xx degrees, and adjust your trigger angle to match that at the balancer.

6. Matt Cramer

Start at that point, but confirm with a timing light with SPOUT connected.

7. bgjohnson

Ok I will, thanks.