1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MP70 Leaky exhaust seal...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BOOSTED70, Jul 29, 2010.

1. BOOSTED70

Hey guys, I got a 347ci LS1 with a single front mounted MP70. I like the turbo and I like how it works with my setup. That being said, im not really looking for a diff turbo BUT.....

1988 Rx7, 224/224 595/608 114lsa, polished 317 heads, stock rockers, comp springs. Trans is a th350 full manual, for now.

The motor started producing A LOT of blow by and started smoking at the same time. I pulled the motor to rebuild it and put forged pistons, rods in it.

Anyways, the smoke was coming from the turbo exhaust seal.

I have a few options.

1. Rebuild it myself....cost 99$ (kit from VSracing) and possibly some headaches :bang:

2. Let a local diesel shop rebuild it @ $60 an hour for labor plus rebuild kit for $99 = $400....This is my estimate as the guy at the shop had never heard of a Master Power before :doh: Might be more...

3. Buy a new one ~$600

I couldnt find a rebuild thread on here, after a few hours of searching. Anyone have a link?

What would you do? Have you personally rebuilt one before? Im very mechanically minded (mech engineer) but ive never rebuilt a turbo before. Is it worth the experience or should I let a shop do it?

Thanks,
    Chandler

Heres a few pics

2. BOOSTED70

how do i contact them? I cant find an email or phone number on the site anywhere. Maybe im looking right at it.

EDIT: found it!

3. BOOSTED70

I called and the lady that answered had never heard of Master Power before..... :huh:...help haha

4. silverback

The question and debate will be balancing? Are they talking about balancing as part of the rebuild and is it the assembly or parts? If they're just marking, tearing down, putting new bearings and seals in, I'm not sure why a shop that knows what they're doing would charge you more than an hour or so worth of labor, AND if that's all they're doing there is no good reason anyone that has reasonable attention to detail and some tools couldn't do it themselves. If they're talking about balancing, that's another ballgame, and then what the right answer is what you believe (are the rotating parts balanced separately or as an assembly, and if as an assembly how accurately can you reassemble the compressor wheel location to the original shaft location...)? Do you have a reason to believe the balance has changed for your parts?

5. BOOSTED70

I shouldve specified that with the diesel shop. I think he was talking about rebalancing it as well. I think ive decided to tear it down myself. It has VERY little shaft play, so I think im going to only replace the seal. This is what makes sense to me and it requires the least amount of tear down. What do you think?

6. junk

Do you know the history of the turbo since it was new? If yes, and you haven't hammered it with hot shutdowns then I would attempt the rebuild yourself if you have the knowledge and tools.
    If it is unknown and/or possibly hammered on I would do as VSRACING suggested and ship it to SE POWER. They are the best with MP turbos in my opinion. Very helpful and explain things well.

If you have the tools and attention to detail, then get the kit and take it apart. If you find anything else wrong like a bad shaft you can contact SE POWER and send it to them. Although, as VSRACING said....it
    probably would be pretty cheap just to have SE POWER rebuild it.
    As for the balance, it all depends. A bent wheel, chip, etc can force this. It is very situation dependent.

Or if you really want to try and cheap out then mark it, disassemble, and remove the exhaust ring. Measure the ring and bring to a turbo shop or look up the ring online using old Garrett T04 stuff. From memory, the
    early MPs were close to the Garrett CHRA.

7. junk

Least amount of tear down? To get to the exhaust ring everything is apart except for a couple retainers for the bearings. How many hrs/miles on it? Small shaft T70 or big shaft T70? Most places will balance for 50-$100 if you want that. I would at least pull the bearings and check the condition while it is apart. After seeing the condition I would do the Garrett exhaust ring match up or go with the complete kit.

8. BOOSTED70

Ok I got the turbo apart last night. It was hard at all. Two extra hands, a few wreches and a sharpie is all it took! I made sure I marked everything very carefully. The turbo has very little shaft play. About average for a journal bearing turbo. Anyways after apart, It appears that the main oil seal on the exhaust side is not doing its job. The bearing surfaces appear to be fine. Does anyone know what kind of seal this is? Can I only buy the seal or will I have to buy the whole kit?

Thanks

Here are a few pics, I know they suck. Sorry

Also how do i know if its a large or small shaft?

The shaft....

9. BOOSTED70

This is the seal thats leaking.....

And is seals against the shaft here

Is this the large or small shaft?

10. BOOSTED70

Does anyone know if a garret outer seal will work with theses turbos, given the shaft diameter is the same? Im in a little bit of a dilema. Ive already got the turbo apart, I dont want to pay someone to do something that I can do myself. That said, I cant find anyone that sells, only the seal. Everyone Ive spoken with either sells the bearing rebuild kit (does not include seal) or suggests I send the turbo to them but wont sell me the exhaust seal.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Chandler

11. junk

Is that shaft "blued" from heat where the bearing rides need the turbine wheel? Got a better picture?
    I would take a hard look at the turbine side bearing ID and OD and color.

Measure the turbine piston seal. Here are the Garrett measurements: http://www.turboparts.info/turbopartsprice.html
    Yes, all the MP stuff I saw was a complete kit and not piece parts. If you match it up then contact http://turbocharged.com/main.htm for the piston ring. Probably around $10 shipped.

Really though, take a hard look at that turbine side bearing. Post the measurements for the piston ring and I will look in some kits to see if I have a Garrett match.

12. BOOSTED70

Will do! Thanks for the reply! Will have pictures/measurements tonight!