1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

chevrolet electric water pump problem

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by shoebox1.1, Jun 20, 2008.

1. shoebox1.1

i bought a brand new proform SBC electric water pump like a year ago and went to wire it up and its dead!! without question power and ground are good. what a piece of crap! lol i tried to tap on the motor (armature could be sticky)... nothing. anyone else had problems with their stuff? id hope proform would warranty it. if it goes in the trash, is there another manufacturer thats good and not 500 bucks? :doh:

2. Robert1320

CSR or Meziere

3. Robert1320

If Proform doesn't take care of you let me know.
    We might be able to get you one.

4. shoebox1.1

thanks i appriciate it.

5. Nice Chevelle

That sucks for you and that NEW pump. :bang:

Did you store it in a location where there was not any air conditioning ?
    Maybe the bearings or motor is corroded ??

6. shoebox1.1

it was in a spare bedroom that had intermitant AC on... could be the issue.. im going to take it apart tonite

7. shoebox1.1

well this was a weird thing.... i removed the pump from the engine. hooked it directly to the battery.. wa laa it works! with my dvom measured the battery--12.45V using the power and ground wires i made for the water pump-12.38 so there is a lil voltage drop but not that much! it would not run on the 12.38! somthing was up with the B+ lead i dont know.... i made another lead tied into the main supply wire to the alt/dash. works great. weird :doh: :stupid:

8. Grape Ape

Ditto. These are the only electric pumps I'd use.

9. Nice Chevelle

Double check all the internal and external connections, + and -, you don't want a flakey connection on that pump. She'll shut and ya wont know until the temp gauge starts rising and if your not watching it closely then ya cold over heat that thing. Be careful.

:D

10. shoebox1.1

well my buddy has had one of these pumps in a daily driver for some time and it works perfectly. ive fixed my wiring problem and it should be ok. :D

11. BlueMonte

I bought one back in 03 shortly after they came out, zero problems since day one. I'd say if it works now it will work for a long time.

12. MEAN_SBC

I run a proform on my junk.... No problems at all...

13. shoebox1.1

im sure its going to be fine. my buddies car with basically the exact same setup wouldnt go over 160F!

14. Stroked-Z

Been using a Proform pump for 3 seasons now...fan belt yanked the wires out of it countless times....still works like a charm. Best $139 i ever spent :D

-Carm

15. Chacata

Electric pump and you have a fan belt? :huh: :hmm: :noidea:

16. cat herder

I bought an electric drive kit for my alternator off ebay, saves even more power. True story. :2thumbs:

17. Chacata

Now this is really confusing. Electric drive for the alternator?? It must be an electric drive for the water pump in that case. You can't spin a generator with an electric motor, can you?

18. Grape Ape

Sure you can, if you want to kill the battery faster :stupid:

19. cat herder

The guy selling the kits also had a kit to run your car on water as fuel, but it was outside my budget at the time.

20. shoebox1.1

well my car is running now and the cheap proform pump is keeping its cool. with no t stat (just a restrictor) it hasnt got over 140F ! and i need cool to control my high CR. the e85 i think is going to be the biggest help :p