1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

not making desired boost?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Badv8s10, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Badv8s10

I got my truck driving for the first time today and I am running it off of the wastegate spring witch is a 7psi spring but i'm only seeing 2 maybe 3 psi of boost does that seem right? should i put a bigger spring in and check it or should i get a boost controller or do you think i have other problems?

2. rusted40

where are you measuring the boost?

I would measure it at the compressor housing, after the intercooler and in the manifold after the TB
    it will always be higher at the compressor especially at higher boost levels, but you shouldnt be losing that much at 7psi.

other things to check are sticking(open) wastegates and BOV, or charge pipe leaks.

3. Robert1320

Details.....

Motor
    turbo
    W/G
    BOV
    Timing
    AF

4. Badv8s10

rusted- i'm measuring from the intake

robert-357 sbc,GT4202R, progate,tial 50mm, 20 degrees timing locked

5. Robert1320

Check the gate to see if it is open.
    Put some timing in that thing....
    Don't get all crazy, try 4 more.

6. Badv8s10

if my bov has the wrong spring in would it blow boost out?

7. Mill Creek Mafia

if your wastegate has x# spring, the gate will open at x-psi and push remaining boost to atmosphere if so routed.. so if you got a 7# spring your gate opens at 7psi.

i don't really think you would have blow off valve that can only hand 2-3 psi... but someone correct me if i'm wrong.

8. Robert1320

How is it hooked up?

9. Control Freak

7 psi spring and your only making 3 psi? Make sure your line is hooked to your blow off valve other wise it will never close.

10. Badv8s10

the blow off valve is hooked to the intake manifold

11. vwdave

Do you have 2 ports on the wastegate? One on the top and one sorta on the side? Its a TIAL so it should be that way. I think it needs to be on the top port. I think thats what my buddy robert1320 is getting at.

See if the wastegate is partially open. I had a big turbo vw corrado only making 275whp with very lazy spoolup. Wastegate was stuck partially open. Fixed that, did 400.

12. Badv8s10

its a turbosmart progate both fittings are on the side

13. 93gtman

with a turbo smart gate you have to go with the lower fitting. the top is just vented for now..you can use the top if you have a boost controller which is seems like you dont so use the lower fitting if you are not already doing that. let us know how you make out

14. Badv8s10

thats how i have it hooked up I just haven't had time to mess with it again yet tomarrow night I should be able to mess with it

15. xr8tt

Both go on the lower port... The top one is for adjustable boost ...

16. Badv8s10

well i got the carb. issue takin care of tonight and all setup and checked over a few things pulled some plugs to see how they looked and everything looked good also checked the waste gate to make sure it wasn't open for any reason and it was fine so i raised the timing up to 24 degrees and drove it again and It really felt stronge fuel pressure is rising as it should due to making boost but i still didn't see boost on the gauge but i'm positive its making boost i think i just have a gauge problem even though It reads vacuum fine i'll look into that alittle more the next time i work on it

17. vwdave

Hate to post up my experiences, but here I go.

I had a car once that read vacuum perfectly, and would only read 3psi of boost. Customer brings it in and complains of 3psi of boost. The shop owner and master said the same thing. I drove the car and noticed the turbo was screaming and the car pulled as it should.

I pulled the gauge out and the line was kinked. Read vacuum and almost no boost. Could very well be it.

18. Badv8s10

that could be it i'm going to look in to it this week

19. Robert1320

Also, check boost pressure with nothing hooked-up confirm the gate is working correctly.
    It could be the controller defeating the gate.

20. Badv8s10

i'm not running any controller i'm just running off the spring