1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mounting turbo and downpipe

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Dynodaddy, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Dynodaddy

I have a couple of questions about mounting proceedures on a turbo application.

My car has solid motor mounts but I know the engine will move anyway.
    I am also going to mount the turbo to the frame as well.

I will be fabricating the headers in a fassion that when they heat up they can expand and contract without fighting each other and cracking. I will be using a flex joint on my hot pipes to the turbo to keep everything from getting in a bind.

This should work fine correct?
    However on my downpipe can I rigid mount it to the frame or put a rubber flex isolator/hanger on the pipe? Please see the picture below of what i have so far and please make constructive comments.

BTW I was only planning on keeping this mount to back of the turbo up until the turbo mount is completed. SHOULD I change it like I had planned to??

2. Dynodaddy

anyone??

3. Grant086

jw is that down pipe mounted to the body right there? cause if the motor moves at all arnt you risken tearing that mount or messing up the v band flange because of the movement?

4. Dynodaddy

Please read my post and just not look at the pictures.

5. EXQQSME

I think your on the right track i would prob change things a bit like you mentoned put some rubber inbetween mounting points for a few reasons prevent cracking like you mentoned and also so you dont have the vibration/ sound travelling through your whole car as for the flex joints id prob stick to shorter sections of the flex pipe for a cleaner look just my .02 good luck keep us posted.