1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Posting Holset HT60 Info

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by JCH, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JCH

Guys this is my first post here but I have been reading and learning from all of you for sometime now.I am currently working on a project that included a HT60 Holset turbo.I have some info I have aquired through my back ground employment that may be of use for future reference.

THe HT60 Holset turbo comes in 4 forms or different part numbers from Recon/Holset.By breaking down these 4 part numbers I have found that the only differences in them are the turbine housing cm and the shaft diameter.For example the p/n 3804805rx assy. number is for up to 435hp/1550tq N14/855cid engine.It has the smaller 23cm turbine housing and the small impellor shaft.Compressor housing and wheels ar the same.The p/n 3800419rx assy. is for the 435hp/1650tq N14/855cid up to 525hp/1850tq N14 engine.It has the 27cm turbine housing and the large diameter shaft.Wheels and compressor housings are the same.

I do not have a compressor map in hand but the Holset site shows the HX/HT as being .92 kg/sec. airflow.That being said I believe this to be a average figure.Engineering shows it to be at max .110 Kg/sec flow or approx. 1100 to 1200 CFm capable.This is all at a 4to1 ratio.

For those interested in the turbine housing part numbers - p/n 3531731 = 27cm hsg. and p/n 3531727 = 23cm housing

If my understanding of this info is correct in theory a 427cid engine could be capable of 800 to 900 hp at 5800 to 6000 RPMs requiring approx. 1200 cfms and needing 18 psi.

Any insight or corrections are welcome.

2. 61falconman

The main difference between the HT and HX units is that they operate in opposite directions (don't recall which is which), so you cannot mix and match parts. If you search around, others have reported good success with these turbos on 429ci street engines so you should be in good shape. Sorry that I can't confirm your power projections but they sound realistic.

I have a basket case HT60 laying around. If you need any parts, PM me.

3. Shagwell

I've got two HX60W's, one of which is in great shape, the other needs a compressor wheel and rebuild. On 427 they would probably work well enough on the street, on smaller cubes idk if you could get them to spool soon enough to be very useable on the street. - Yes, the HT and HX are the same, just opposite rotation from one another. The "w" on th end just means internal wastegate.

From the research I have done on this board and just googling around, I found ratings of 125.4lbs per minute ariflow and 1550cfm. There have been a few members on here who have run them, one combo I wrote down(no specifics, sorry) was a 358ci, said he could build 18psi on the t-brake and 2 step between 42-4400 rpm. - It should be capable of around 8-900hp in a street type combo, somewhere around 1k-1100 in a race-tuned combo.

hope that helps,
    Jp

4. JCH

Thanks for the response. I worked for Cummins for 14 years as a tech,field service engineer and application engineering.I left in 2002. I called in a favor to find out about the HT/Hx60 turbo.Hope to have everything going by spring.I can still get rebuild kits and breakdown the turbo parts. I am now a dealer for Cummins. :cheers:

5. robfrey

The is certainly more difference between the HT60 and HX60 turbos than just the rotation.
    I know this post is old but what did you decide to do?

6. JCH

I am still working on this.I have managed to locate the person who designed the HT60 turbo, since my last post. When we talked I asked him if this turbo could handle 1200 cfm @ a 2:1 pressure ratio. He said that would be stretching it a llittle far.I am suppose to talk with him again next week to get an exact cfm rating. One thing for sure is the HX60 will out perform the HT60.

7. boosted chicken

I have a recently rebuilt HT60 that I was planning on using with my 408w project. The only reason I hesitate is the whole reverse rotation deal. If I decide to step up to a bigger turbo, I will have to re-engineer my hotside. I plan on attaching the turbo to a motor plate but I still think it would be a pita to switch to a standard rotation T6 frame turbo. What to do...