1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

most boost in a stock 350 block?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by nxfirebird, Nov 9, 2006.

1. nxfirebird

i know a stock sbc block will take alot, but how much have board members put in one.
    the one i'm building will have steel caps but other than that i didn't want to do anything else to it like fill it.
    i know Ira has got to be putting quite abit in but just how much i don't know.

2. cherrybombta

20 pound in mine stock caps with arp main studs. Made 640 to the wheels! If my fuel pump didn't go south the motor block would have lived. It made many dyno passes and many passes down the track.

3. Robert1320

Boost doesn't matter. PSI is a restriction.
    There are plenty of threads of, How much HP a sbc take.

4. ash

1000hp and 1000ft/lb. meth fuel, twin t3/t4 , std 882 chev heads, 24 psi, turns to 6600 rpm max. mech fuel inject, use "x" bearings to give more cushion to bearings...

5. Mattsv8_03

im going to be building a 355" out of my nos 355" the motor is already ready for the turbo parts. im going to do it with a t88 in a blowthrough setup. i will have to run really low boost. but i think its better to walk before i run. im planning a 406" motor with my edelbrock vr jrs cnc ported up to arround 230 cc. lunati crank and pro mod rods, little m block.that combo is one i cant afford to hurt so im trying using a eagle crank , h beam rods and je pistons, with my vr jr heads not ported yet. at 315cc. any help is appreciated. thanks

6. trbo355

My buddy Joe and i are planning a build similar to yours. 355 converted from roots blower to a PT88 blowthru. We are hoping for 900 HP at the crank on a stock 4 bolt and factory steel crank with eagle rods. I hope that is an attainable number without pushing the block farther than what it can take!

7. BiggO

8. Mattsv8_03

i have a forged gm steel crank now on spray its going 9s. my engine guy said it would break under boost. so im going with a eagle crank now.

9. 85Iroc

I'm curious why your engine builder thinks boost would be harder on it than spray??

10. Robert1320

Typically a turbo motor is a softer more progressive hit.
    A blower motor can hit harder due the rpm/boost and the ability to slam the bov closed.
    Nevertheless the same hp n2o hit is the worst.

11. Mattsv8_03

i dont know why. Should i try and use my motor as is with just a new eagle crank, h beam eagle rods, and je pistons. with my t88. vr jr heads out of box, and a 850 csu carb?

12. Stroked-Z

MATT i think the steel GM crank will live to more HP than the block...that isnt the weakness in your parts....

13. vegamike

there,s a guy on the NPSA site he ran some low 8,s in a 3000lb ++ weighted car with a stockblock twin turbo set-up , he has the combo forsale as well , his name is jimmy burns .

14. Grape Ape

The big question is what block do you have and what prep work was done to it? All SBC's are not created equal. Some thin emissions era castings can crack before you hit 500 hp, a good 10/10 block may be fine at 1000 hp. There are many factors, like what casting #, what kind of iron, how much core shift, how thick it is, prep work, etc.

15. trbo355

I agree! The 80's blocks are a much thinner design and not something that would make a great foundation to build off of. It takes a bit of hunting to find a block that doesnt have much core shift and the high nickel content. I have heard repeatedly that the mexico blocks machine much harder and have high nickel content and seem to be a good piece. This is info straight from a guy that rebuilds motors for a living and does all his own machine work so i trust what he says. He had a mexico block in his shop i had my eye on but it too had pretty bad core shift so i passed.

16. Mattsv8_03

like i said my block has been 9s on a 355" motor with 11.87:1 compression and a 175 shot. its brand new just raced at super chevy. and the motor is only .030. i cant remember what it sonic checked at but i know it was still very thick. for a gm production block.

17. Robert1320

900hp is about the limit for a stock block.
    I have seen some make over 1k.
    I have have also seen.

18. trbo355

Does anybody have a pix of a 350 block that gutted the mains? 400's have the main webbing scalloped out so much more than a 350 that it seems like they would be weaker even though they do have siamesed bores. I wanna see a good ol' 350 block that ate shit and at what HP level.

19. flyinhillbilly

i kind of thought that was what you were working. :angel:

20. big boost

im gonna find out for ya this summer!!! 010 4 bolt block .030 over , lil cement half fill and a C.A.T. main gurdle :chacha:[​IMG]#ad
    gonna put it on the bumper for sure and see what power i can make!!!!