1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Carb idle question?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by mnm99, Aug 30, 2014.

1. mnm99

Quick one..I adjusted my timing form 8* initial to 30* and need to bring down my idle. I didn't build the carb , it came with the car. I turned the curb idle screw all the way down and it's still idles at 1000 rpm. I don't know if they drilled the plates or anything. Any other quick way to bring it down? Otherwise it runs perfect!

2. JP.

Ehhh first I think 30* initial timing is way to much. I doubt the engine will fire up when warm, I don't thing the starter will throw that engine when warm.

For your idle, your not telling what carb, but there should be some idle mixture screws to, if you lean those out ( turn them equally in) your idle speed should drop.

3. leeperryracing

is that really 30* initial timing or 30* locked timing? big difference between the two.....if the dizzy is not locked out, 30* initial is a LOT. I'd get the timing set up right first before you play around too much with the carb.

4. Rickracer

IIRC, he has a 6530, with a 20° start retard built into the curve, and the distributor locked at 30°. You may need to close the secondaries a little bit, you want the primaries "squared" on the transition slot, so I'd set that, then control idle speed with the secondary stop screw. I have a pair of tiny (pocket) screwdrivers bent at a 90° angle just for adjusting the secondary stop screw, (it's on the underside of the throttle plate), one with the blade inline with the shaft, and one at right angles to the shaft.

5. pound4pound

check for vacuum leaks

6. M&M Turbochargers

may help you

summit also has a bracket you mount on the secondary's to adjust the position from the top

Holley_transferslot.jpg #ad