1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TWIN TURBO 440 ?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by neverendingquest, Dec 8, 2005.

1. neverendingquest

New guy that needs help. I want to do a T/T 440 build. This is what I have now 440 .30 over Perfomer RPM intake the cam lift 572I /576E. DOR. 238I /244E at .50 lift .108 LSA. I was going to intercool it or run water injection. Would like to get in the 10s in the 1/4. What I want to know is if any one has a 440 that is turboed and can help me out like if the cam will work and what turbos your running ect. If you need more info from me just ask I dont know what all I need to put in the post. The car is a 66 charger has 4.30 gears, built trans,1/2 inch fuel line holley blue pump and I was going to run a return line of 3/8 inch. Thanks for your help.

2. Kryp2nitE

do some searches, look at what feets posts (TT440)

i think the performer is a dual plane, a no-no for turbo
    the cam is probably not gong to work but since im too lazy to look it up your better off with a stocker
    go intercool
    gears would be best toned down to say 3.23 or 3.55
    trans is good
    lines r ok, pumps needs to be replaced, return needs to be bigger

do some searching and try a revised setup

if you could to single i would reccomend something like:
    single plane intake (M1 torker holley?)
    less aggressive cam (closer to stock with as little o-lap as you can get)
    nice big intercooler
    80-88 mm turbo
    -10 an or larger fuelline with same size or larger return
    aeromotive A1000 pump with 13202 reg or magnastar 500 pump
    850 cfm double pumper prepped for boost from CSU
    3.23 gear

ummmm and replace the nut between the seat and the steering wheel :D

welcome to boost, i hope you find it to your liking

3. neverendingquest

Ok I think I get the cam with less o-lap and maybe the intake, but the fuel return line being same or biger I dont get can some one tell me y. I have done some searching and was told to come here and this looks like the place to be. I wanted to tell all of you guys what I had to get some info on where to start. I know I will ask some dumb q's so dont bust on me to much. I like info so the more you tell me the better. Thanks for the reply now to do more searching.

4. turbodart

That is the generally accepted practice with carb'd engines running blow-thru. A lot of people had problems related to the fuel system until they started putting larger return lines. The thing to remember is that fluid flow through a pipe/tube is dependent on not only the hose diameter but, just as importantly, any other thing in the line that will impede the fluid flow such as fittings, sharp bends, etc. You want to have the same amount of conductance on both the feed line and the return line, otherwise you may have problems. You can have the same conductance on the return line using the same sized tubing as the feed line if your return line is designed right, so don't take all the advice you receive here as the gospel, and keep doing what you're doing and ask probing questions until you're satified with the answer. As they say, " There are no stupid question, just stupid people", or something like that. :D

5. Anthony Fury

Just my opinion, but before you start re-buying stuff:

A. "...lift 572I /576E. DOR. 238I /244E at .50 lift .108 LSA...."
    FWIW, I believe a stock GN cam is on a 106 LSA.  I've been told this was to compensate for the stock (GN) turbo's inefficiency.  It may not be the best (the heaviest hitters seem to have a pretty wide spread @ 114+), but I don't think it's a terrible starting point.  I also do not have a running car, hahaha.  What heads are you running?  Can they really use that much lift?

B.  3/8" return should work great; the Aeromotive 13101 regulator "only" has a -6 return outlet.  A friend's Cartech "1100" fuel system uses two 255LPH pumps (running constantly) and a -6 line, and works fine. Edit, it seems that more than a few fast carb guys are running a mallory 4309, which only has a 3/8" return provision anyway.

I agree with kryp2nite on the smaller gears & intercooling.  Search/read the blow-thru carb part of this site; there are some pretty nasty setups to mimic.

6. neverendingquest

More good info thanks. For the heads I have redone stockers for now they have springs for the cam and 2.14I and 1.81E. I was going to ask about them in another post when I get some of the other things taken care of.

7. turbodart

I'm running stockers with big valves. Stockers would be fine to get you into the 10's. Hell, you should be able to easily run in the 9's with the heads you have with the right turbo.

8. FastmOp

You can get close to the 10's without the turbo, It is a MoPar :D
    I think you could stick a turbo on what you have now and have enough power to scare the snot out of yourself.

9. tilt

Yes Sir!!
    I'm waiting till spring so i can scare myself and the neighbors at the same time. :angel: :eek:

10. CW25

4309 regulator comes with 3/8" NPT ports. They accomodate 1/2" lines quite nicely.

11. feets

this is how the feets TT440 ended up before the EFI found it's way on the car:

SpeedPro cheapie 9:1 pistons from Summit
    Stock everything else
    Edelbrock Torker II intake (replaced the Performer I had)
    stock 452 heads
    my widdle feets cam (236/232 @.050 .474/.483 112 LSA 10* overlap)
    T4 compressor housings with 60-1 wheels
    T3 Stage III .98 turbine housings with Stage III wheels
    Tial 38mm wastegates
    Chrysler 2.2 blow off valve
    Vortech T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Mallory 4309 regulator
    3/8" feed line and 1/2" return
    Holley 850 DP
    K&N carb bonnet (don't laugh)
    stop laughing
    really
    quit laughing
    everybody makes mistakes
    Olds Delta 88 washer bottle
    Ford Ranger inline fuel pump
    .040" N2O jet and needle
    variable pressure switch
    log headers
    3" exhaust from turbine to side exit
    no mufflers
    3.23 gears
    28" tires

That's about it.
    Using a worked shop carb, we managed to pull 657 hp and 742 tq at the wheels and only lost two head gaskets in the process. There's something to be said about no intercooler, 17 psi boost, and excessive timing. Learn from me and save your motor. Damage was limited to a head gasket until I misdiagnosed the miss-fire and took the car on a 400 mile road trip. oopsie. It wasn't a bad miss until after the first 200 miles.

Observations/Lessons learned:
    1) BOOST IS FUN
    2) a bunch of power can be made on the cheap
    3) these turbine housings are too small but they sure feel good when on the road
    4) the 440 is as tough as nails
    5) the stock fuel line does not make a good return line. Uncontrollable fuel pressures happen when you drop a big fuel pump on a carburetored car. I was running the 1/2" line as a feed line but switched it to a return as a test to resolve fuel pressure issues. Worked great. Fuel pump had a 3/8" in/out. After getting the pressure under control, I ran that size feed lines and left the return alone. 3/8" might have worked for the return but I didn't want to tear it all down again.
    6) The K&N bonnet sucks butt. Weird air distribution at high rpm causes strange carb issues. Alcohol/93 octane/race fuel injector works as a band-aid. Hat is so restrictive that the 440 will not run over 3800 rpm without the intake pipe connected so the turbos can idle along and push a little air.
    7) Use the Olds Delta 88 washer bottle as an alky/extra fuel reservoir and you can have the low water level switch tell you when you're low on extra fuel. Plumb the Ranger fuel pump between the reservoir and nitrous needle. Have the needle facing against the flow of air for better mix and set the variable switch to fire the pump. You'll think you're running NAWSSSSSS.
    8) unmuffled turbo cars really aren't that loud. I drove mine all the way from Dallas, Texas to Green Bay, Wisconsin (and back) on the 2004 Power Tour. The exhaust note never caused trouble (or headaches). The whirley-whistley exhaust seems to be a crowd favorite and I like it too.
    9) fuel mileage can be fairly nice when you keep your foot out of the turbos. (17 mpg when being good)

12. Anthony Fury

Feets, you are a cut-up!

Hey, I like the idea of the low-washer-sensor-equipped bottle.

Can I squeeze more info from you re: stage III T3 housings? Where to get, etc.

13. jason85tt

I have a K&N carb bonnet too  :ras:  My dad's charger has gone 10.90s at full weight with a 440 with 906 heads and a shot of NOS

14. feets

Was it running the K&N? If you switch to a better hat, you'll probably have to rejet. I blew the intake pipe off the bonnet a couple times and the poor little car couldn't get out of it's own way. I had to pull the hat to drive the thing home. K&N tells you to keep it off anything bigger than a mid size V6 unless you run boost.

A humorus side note...
    I went to a CamaroBird dyno day a few years ago. The GM guys were mystified with the hot rod. They treated it like some UFO from out of this world. Everybody crowded around to get a better look and try to figure out what it was. We made a base line pull straight off the street with 8 psi, mild timing, and no alky spray. The car was around 600 ft/lbs and just under 500 hp. The fuel curve looked iffy. For the next pull, I activated the alky spray and cranked up the boost. The Chevy guys really got up close to the hot rod. Almost like it was the holy grail er sumpin. When we made the next run, the boost went up, the alky kicked in, and the pressure stripped the stud out of the carb. The hat popped up and a cloud of alcohol blew out from under the hood. Those CamaroBird guys went running like they were gonna die. Damned funny stuff.
    Of course I had to drive home without boost, but it was worth it to see those fellows turn tail and run. Good stuff.

What about the Stage III turbines? They're too small for a 440. I got mine from www.dallasturbo.com. Mike and Dave are pretty good guys.

15. Anthony Fury

Rats, I guess they'll be too small for a 454" as well.  Unless I use four of them..........naw, nobody is that stupid. :angel: Thanks for the link!

P.S. Hahaha, nice story!! But what aren't firebird guys scared of, really? ;)

16. jason85tt

The K&N is on my mustang but I also used a 1 1/4" spacer under it I don't think it would be a restriction it has a 3 1/2" inlet and my intercooler piping is only 3" but I only used it because I already had one I would recomend a EV hat also.

17. neverendingquest

Feets your log headers are they log manifolds. Is there any one making headers or manifolds for bb mopar. There is alot of good suff in this site I just have to find it. Thanks everone.

18. feets

My logs are custom. Just another part of my little science project.