1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

the nerd 5.3 turbo build!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 302coupe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. 302coupe

Okay let me start of with saying my name is micahel in i live in oklahoma city! I have a 1986 4 eye mustang that i have had since i was 16 and im now 21! everyone around here calls it the nerd! Its changed alot over the years and had a bunch of differnt motor setups! I had a stock short block sbf that ran 10.4s to a bbc! now im putting a 5.3 turbo build together! this is my first turbo setup! I will post as many pics as i can along the way and i will also post some before pics and old setup pics!

the car was bone stock basicley except for the cage and fuel cell whitch me and my dad installed when i was 16 when it had the 5.0! this are the pics of everything i did to the car when i took the 5.0 out to do the bbc swap! I also rewired the hole car! I did alot of work to the car when i put the bbc in it so i will post the pics of all that just so yall know what i have done to the car!

My new rear end! mickey braced it and welded my axle tubes! I put a full strange pro light weight spool with 3.73 gears and strange 5 lug axles and a summit girdle!

my new upr double ajustable upper control arms and single ajustables lowers!

my new digtal 6

new arc 12 switch panel! this thing is bad ass! I rewired the hole entire car! man was that a bitch lol and I actually wired it right and didnt just use butt conectors on everything!

rear end and new control arms and drag shocks installed! and the brakes put back on!

new upr anti roll bar kit!

okay guys a little update

I got the dash half way back in dont mind how durty it is stillhas alot of smoke from the fire on it!

dash

radio baby!

my speakers

my steering shaft

my new holley blue for the nitrous system

new fuel line for nitrous system

terminals going to put inside my old gas door!

new upr chromemoly control arms

new willson built turbo 400 with reverse valve body and trans brake and a bunch other shit i dont rember what all he put in it!
    I still need to put on my pan and my bell housing!

AJE K-Member

Strange adjustable struts

new neal chance converter!

well guys a little update! I got the complete front suspension done and got the all new front brakes and coil overs and strange struts. I also converted to 5 lug front and rear and got brand new drums also! the car will be on the ground tomm! I also got the dash pad on and all the wiring done besides the msd!

I also want to thank aron for making me a dual bottle bracket that mounts to my factory seat bracket holes it turned out awesome!

she ant bad looking for us painting her in the old crapy garge you see behind the car!

and last but not least I put on my ott5 stickery!

okay here are the pics of when i got the bbc setup done!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

okay here is a pic from a event when run called backwards track were we race backwards at the track with no prep just vht burn out!
    [​IMG]#ad

okay and here are the some pics of the car at a 10.5 race! the car 60 footed a 1.33 and i had to peddle it and the next pass it broke the transmission yoke in half!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 302coupe

okay now that all is out of the way the new stuff! after that 10.5 race i decided i wanted to try turbo! I seen the video on the internet of the farimont that i guess has the worlds fastest stock 5.3 liter! well after that i was hooked! so i got started on a plan! I decided my goal is to try to beat that recored and if thats not the recored then at least get close to what he is running! also another goal was to do drag week just like he did! Okay so first of i went and bought a stock 5.3 with 90.000 miles for 500 dollars complete with harness and everything.

Okay so here is the plan

5.3 stock
    E85
    s475 with 1.10 ar
    z06 cam
    4 inch air to air intercooler!
    dual tila 38mm wastegates
    tial blow off valve ant decided which one yet! open to opinions
    stock manifolds
    I will build the kit my self!
    2.5 inch hot side
    3 inch coldd side
    turbo 400
    neal chance convertor
    not sure on rear gear yet

okay well last weeknd I brought the car up to our shop to get started on it!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

okay that day me adn my friend steven got started on making the parchute mount /tow hitch

[​IMG]#ad

I havent got the chute yet so thats as far as we go!
    Here are some pics of some part i have already got!

tci flywheel kit to bolt ls motor to turbo 400

Intercooler

one of the tial 38mm wastegate just so i can build the hot side then i will buy the other

wastegates flanges

I also order the turbo but havent got it yet!
    my t6 flange came in today but ant took pics yet!

this was a test fit oft the intercooler

[​IMG]#ad

Okay tonight i got the motor in car and got the intercooler mounted but didnt get no pics will tomm!

here is a pic of the motor when i got it!
    [​IMG]#ad

okay guys thats it for now and like i said this is my first turbo build so if you see anything wrong or any pointers please feel free to share!

3. 80mmvert

Great looking car! Love the color!! WHY ARE WE YELLING!!!!!!! :D

4. BlownShovel

so many combo's so little time. Man I like all the combo's listed. Best advice is to get that ls in there and stick with it...or stick with it ;-)

5. 302coupe

thanks me and my dad panited back when i was 15 the paint is star burst blue metalic but it looks like crap i think after all the years of scratches and then the fender bender i got in high school which is why the front bumper looks like that!

6. 302coupe

I agree! they say once you go turbo you wont go back!

7. Skatefreak

Hey it's another Okie.. I'm building a 10.5 car too.. I bought Jay Clark's old motor (414W) I'm running it this season with the N2O setup But have a Turbo build for next season. I also work at Grand Prix here in Tulsa so that helps.. lol

PS. If you ever need a huge A/W Intercooler let me know ;)

8. 302coupe

well do and im sure i will see you at the races

9. 302coupe

here is the pics of the motor in the car!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

dont mind all the dirty ness of everything will make everything nice and yet after i pull the motor back out to put cam and stuff in after i build the hot side

10. n97240

Nice!! You must have a lot of extra time to work on cars! Oh, i forgot, your 21! Which i had half that time. You going to use the factory pcm for tuning?

11. turbo_72nova

what flanges are you going to use to build the hot side?

12. junk86

Nice build. You have some competition. I just built a 85 hatch, stock bottom end 5.3 (with rod bolts) 241 heads and a 76mm blow through setup. Haven't tuned it yet, but have very conservative timing and it runs its ass off at 13 pounds. Were going on the dyno this week to fine tune it. We have a few trick up our sleeve's to get it to best that farimonts times...Lol

13. 302coupe

well my family owns a machanic shop and the car is up there so any free time i get to mess with it :D

and yeah factory computer local shop is awesome with them and said it wont be a problem to do what we want!

14. 302coupe

using the factory flanges from the manifold!

15. 302coupe

thanks for the props! why did you go blow through? just cause its simple? whats your car weight? did the motor come with the 241 heads? thats great to here that it runs so good makes me get more excited i just want to have fun with the car!

16. 302coupe

sorry ant posted in a couple days guys! I got my gears there 3.27s but ant really done nothing to the car! Been waiting on the turbo for a month now :bang: ! If I can get the turbo problem fix i can get back on track!

17. 302coupe

okay guys i got my turbo today thanks turbodaves! cant wait to get started on the turbo kit! here is a pic!

[​IMG]#ad

Its a borgwarner s475 with a 1.10ar

18. Turbohwagon

19. jessmeistertc

Man, u aren't fucking around. Like the other guy said, wish I had that much time. I am gathering parts for a similar build on my '86 coupe. Except I am using a lq4 6.0 with an s480. Must have been awesome to have such a nasty street car at your age. What did the bbc/n2o combo run at best? Looks stupid nasty from the pics. Awesome build.

20. 302coupe

I had a completey 5.0 stock short block with some cast iron dart heads with a victor jr in 650 carb on a 175 shot that went 10.40 in high school! In my car the best the bbc combo ran was 9.7 1/4 but ran some 1/8 and it went 6.20 that was on a 82 jet! but pulled the motor and put in friends car and we went 9.22 on a 102 jet so it would have went at least that in my car but never pilled it up cause never put a proggesive or travel limiters to keep front end down! thanks for the props guys about to really start doing some work to the car!