1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Modifying Multec injectors for more flow

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by junk, Jul 12, 2009.

1. junk

I am putting together a junk spare parts engine. The only thing I am missing at this point is fuel injectors for the TPI intake. I have some left over 1995 Caprice 19#/hr injectors from an LT1 intake swap. They are the GM Multec disk types. They look just like 1994/1995 GM LT1 injectors. I would like to modify them to flow more. Any tips or tricks on how to do it? I have one that is stuck so I am going to pull that one apart first to see if they can be modified.
    Looking to get around 40 to 60 lb/hr out of them.

I do have a homemade ECM setup and injector flowbench. I can set the injector PW and also timed static for testing. I am just not sure if these can be modified with some flow rate consistency.

2. Drac0nic

Have not ever heard of anyone doing something like drilling the orfices on these out. Would be something neat to try that is for sure. If you get it to work, post it up along with results. I would start by using a set of torch tip bits or jet drills and seeing what happens on the flow bench. The problem may be consistency and getting the injectors to seat 100% after modification. The other thing is that the seat(s) may be stainless as well which could be an issue. Another way you can get these to give you a "little more" is by bumping the FP. Keep in mind that even if you doubled the FP you'd only see about 50% more fuel flow. With any real mods that would probably not be enough unless you're putting these on an engine that had super low power to begin with.

3. Craig Smith

The manufacturing environment for fuel injectors is pretty strict. They have "clean rooms" for assembly and testing, and the tolerances are very small. I'm not certain that modifying the internals will be something that can be done very repeatably by hand, but it would be cool to hear what you are able to accomplish. Any news so far?

4. Drac0nic

My opinion is if he has em lying around to play with why not? I mean the last set of 24s I sold went for $1 on ebay so the 19s aren't worth much probably.

5. Craig Smith

Yeah, I was actually kinda thinking that as I typed as well... go for it!

6. evobydarwin

You'll find that you dont have the precise equipment it takes to modify injectors to flow more fuel. If you go through with it, you'll find a huge variance in consistency of injectors and idle, part throttle and WOT characteristics will follow.

7. BottleFed70

My thoughts exactly.

8. TTFBDY

Somebody has a service to do this. Can't remember who but I saw it.
    They have to be flowed to get it to work right.
    You can build your own flow bench/ cleaner. The pump is the most expensive part.