1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Modifying distributor for DFI, FAST or BS3 cam sync

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by Injected65, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Injected65

Here is some info on modding the distributor.

http://www.candbmotorsports.com/camsync.html

Chris

2. Don Bailey

Re: BS 3 Install and Digital 7

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to document that. You have no idea how many hours of typing you save me. You are the man Chris :bow:

3. Injected65

No problem Don. Thank you for your help in proofing it and throwing in some ideas into the finished product.

Chris

4. Robert1320

Chris and Don! :2thumbs: Very nice guys!

5. rick90lx

Re: Modifying distributor for FAST or BS3 cam sync

nevermind :bang: :D

6. gtmustang00

Does someone make or sell a modified distributor for cam sync? If not, ill be using this article to modify my current msd pro billet distributor.

7. Injected65

Both FAST and Accel have their dual sync distributors out now. They provide both the cam and crank signals from the distributor. Other than that I am not aware of anyone offering a turn key distributor straight from the manufacturer. For anyone that doesn't have access to the tools, doesn't have the time or just plain doesn't want to do it, we would be happy to perform the modifications to a customer supplied distributor or we can supply a turn key product as well.

Thanks,
    Chris - C&B Motorsports

8. gtmustang00

so with a dual sync distributor will i still need a crank trigger? yes? im just getting started with the electronics part before i purchase anything.

9. Injected65

The dual sync's have both the cam and crank signals coming from the distributor so you would not need a crank trigger. You can search "dual sync" here and find a good number of threads on the Accel unit since its been around for years. IMO it is best used in a street/strip car. If you have a high rpm (7000+) or a high hp (1000+) setup I would advise in going with the standard crank trigger and modded distributor method. The FAST dual sync distributor is pretty new to the market and I honestly haven't gotten any feedback on it. It may or may not be better in the high hp/high rpm combo's than the Accel.

Chris

10. gtmustang00

ill be using a gt47-88mm turbo which is capable of 1,400hp, so ill just go with the crank trigger and modify my current msd distributor. Using BS3 too.

11. fast92lx

Thought someone would like to know alternative to msd dizzy... I am using a procomp 8000 (got for free) that seems to be working fine so far. The
    best part of deal is that reluctor ring is held on with a snap ring and is extremely easy to rotor phase. I will be glad to send pics of modified unit if
    anyone interested.
    thanks

12. Tactile

Chris,

How much would this service run?

Thanks
    JR

13. Injected65

You have a PM.

14. rick90lx

I sent Chris a PM, but figured it might be good info for other guys, so here we go.

I have an Accel billet dizzy for my windsor. I'm using a Gen7, that wont be fired up till spring. Here are a few pics of what I'm working with.

Is this the reluctor I need to trim all but one tab off of? If so, does it matter which one is left?

15. mrtbolt64

Your going to have to be careful with this one as it is not like the MSD's reluctor wheel. Your wheel can not be made adjustable so to say. You will need to get the timing set/phase dizzy up 1st then roll engine to what ever timing the Gen 7 want to see for cam sync then mark what tab is in line with the sensor. Cut the rest off, then re drill new holes or slot the holes depending how much it is off to get alignment.

16. Injected65

Mrtbolt is correct. That style of distributor isn't something that I have modified myself or actually ever seen modified. He described the method that I would assume would work for getting it down to a single contact. My only worry is that being it is a TFI distributor, will the signal be correct that is outputted to the ECU and what wiring would be used to connect it to the EFI harness. You will probably need to check around to see if anyone has sucessfully converted one of those distributors before.

Chris

17. ttype

Don't you also have to enable the points mod by soldering a bridge between circuits in the Old Classic FAST to enable the points? or is that already done?

18. Injected65

I've never heard of such a thing, but maybe someone more familiar with the classic fast will chime in.

Chris

19. turbov8

Ok guys, what purpose for this modification. I have a FAST Bank to Bank system with MSD TFI setup and my timing match what on the FAST screen. Are you saying the MSD will fluntuate thru the RPM?
    Thanks,
    Robert

20. Injected65

If you have a sequential box you will need a cam and crank signal. If you use a crank trigger for the crank signal then this is the info needed to convert a regular MSD dizzy to a cam signal.

Chris