1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stock Ford or Cometic head gaskets

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by tank_567, Dec 21, 2012.

1. tank_567

Hello all, had some issues with my head gaskets, blew out both of them only making 15lbs of boost running stock head gaskets and bolts. Im looking to upgrade to arp head studs or head bolts. The block has been decked and bored .020 over, should I think about upgrading to a Cometic head gasket?(goal is 600-700hp street engine) Thanks:biggrin-new:

2. Zack

IMHO, a multi layered steel gasket cant be better than the next one offered.
    I always use stock gaskets and spray them with Copper Spray-a-gasket.

3. stangman9897

I've run stock Ford gaskets with no problems at 22 psi.

4. ewoogy

Cometic will be much better than a stock gasket but from what I hear, you will blow a piston before the gasket will let go so your tune needs to be spot on. I am using the cometics in mine. But lots of people use the stocks one and they work just fine.

Eric

5. 99TTGT

stock OEM 03/04 cobra head gaskets will support 1200rwhp threw a powerglide with no issues...

Ford Racing 2 valve head gasket changing kit M-6067D46
    Ford Racing 3 valve head gasket changing kit M-6067-3V50*
    Ford Racing 4 valve head gasket changing kit M-6067-T46

6. kboss87

I'm running ford head gaskets with ARP studs. Seen as high as 20psi and havent had an issue.

7. tank_567

Cool, Thank you guys! Looks like I will order another set of stock head gaskets and go with arp head studs.

8. kboss87

Good choice! As mentioned before, better to blow out a head gasket than cause bottom end damage!

9. BLK_03

Absolutely not. The Cometic, Felpro, etc is not an upgrade over the stock MLS gasket.