1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Stronger clutch for a Ford GT supercar ?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by RaceFink, Oct 8, 2012.

1. RaceFink

After lot work und maping we have enough power to burn the clutch down.
    What is best clutch for an high HP GT ?

Thanks Udo

2. screamin363

Re: Stronger clutch for an GT ?

What year GT and how much power are we talking about?

3. TT_05_Stang

4. maverick75

Gt's used different engines throughout their 40+ year lifespan, gotta list more specs man.

5. 99TTGT

6. TT_05_Stang

Its not a mustang :). Ford GT as in the new 06-07 gt40 style...

7. RaceFink

yes it is the Ford Supercar GT

we have 970rwhp on a Mustang dyno and 1100 on a Superflow dyno

The stock clutch have survived only 500km on Autobahn
    The Spec clutch looks good I will contact them

Thanks Udo

8. RaceFink

We ordered an SPEC clutch for the GT
    Now today one service man from Koenisegg call me and we spoke also about clutches and he told me that they have try but have to much problems with this so they use only the AP units.
    Not sure what he talking about, maybe some philosiphic thing because AP is much more known brand in racing
    So have one of you expiriance with SPEC clutches ?

Regards Udo

9. STERLING351

you could make everyone hate you by going auto....but hey they can hate all they want because its fast as hell

10. PrecisionTurboMustang

How fast has it gone so far? No video makes me want to murder you :D

11. stangman9897

I don't care for Spec clutches, i have only owned one the spec 5 and in my book it was a peice of shit BUT i was trying to drive it on the street and the 5 is a on & off clutch. My tuner won't use them anymore either unless the customer just has to have it and trys to talk them out of it.

12. RaceFink

We removed trans today and see that an AP unit was installed. Clutch look not bad but sliping under full bost in high gear (Autobahn speed ower 300kmh).
    There was lot "hot spots" and other makrings you can see that friction never touch on flywheel so I think they was not right brake in this clutch

Udo

13. 04DkShadowGrey

I know a lot of Supra guys are running either RPS triple disc clutches or Tilton clutches. They take some punishment and drive really well.

14. vwdave

I have a customer with a GT500 with a McLeod twin disc. I drove the car about 5 miles to his house and the manners are fantastic. I cant possibly say enough good things about that clutch.

15. TT_05_Stang

I installed a RXT in my buddies GT500 and while it does have an on off feel... its very predictable, and after 15 minutes of driving, I was able to figure it out, where from a stop, it was not jerky engagement.

16. RaceFink

Sorry I forgot to get info after we install the SPEC clutch.

The clutch was very easy when you slow manouver in shop ore parking also when drriving in city traffic when accelerating hard ist will "rubb" little but not very heavy.
    The McLoad that we have used in GT500 was more comfortalbe but the SPEC in the GT will be OK for such high hp. It also accelerate little faster from 200-300km/h.
    The SPEC clutch make little noise when pressed but very little

Udo

17. 99TTGT

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

this is cool .!
    more INFO please..

18. kboss87

I have the mcleod rxt and love it.