1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

oil smells like gas but a/f is good...

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by one eyed willy, Aug 27, 2011.

1. one eyed willy

new motor, did oil changes @ 30 miles,100 miles and now 600 miles......this was planned to be my last oil change before going to regular 2k changes.

WOT a/f is 11.5-11.8........crusing wideband shows 14.8 usually.

maybe its normal, not sure.......oil has a strong gas odor. using valvoline VR1 10w30.

not sure what i can be looking for to know if im having any issues?

2. jdl2z

piston/wall clearance or ring gap?

3. one eyed willy

.0035 on the wall clearance

.022-.024 first ring

.014-.016 second ring

far as i can tell the rings are all good, im not getting and smoke out of the exhaust.

4. Lance

Wideband sensors do go bad from time to time, IME they get to where they won't read rich.
    What does a plug suggest?

5. one eyed willy

i have my wideband,installed in my car for me.....and the tuner has his he used to tune with. mine was reading very close to his.

the plugs are very clean, no oil or gas,they are grayish brown......the other thing i have noticed is the soot from the exhaust is very black, like alot of carbon. on the previous set up i dont remember it being so much.maybe thats a side effect from the meth? i didnt have meth on the previous set up.

one thing i remembered was......i WAS using ALOT of meth, i had it coming on way too early and sprayed a gallon thru the motor in less than 50 miles probably when i had it coming in at 2-3 psi. i set it back to 8 psi now.

6. PrecisionTurboMustang

Did this happen before you change the oil?

7. jdl2z

well at 650whp the car is using a good bit of fuel to make that power. its probably just normal, but id have to smell it myself to know for sure lol

8. wantabe

i would rather change the oil, and have a SAFE tuneup, than burn up a motor
    change the oil , and being around the motor, u can be inspecting things, and be ontop of the problems if they arrise...
    dooing long runs, the fuel should 'boil' out of the oil too..
    soo make sure the oil is up to temp, and short runs are keep to a minium

9. 10secgoal

Crankcase vented or PVC? Think the PVC could help with smell itself.

10. one eyed willy

yes, all the meth was sprayed on the same oil that i just changed.....so now the oil is new and the meth is set back to 8psi.....so i guess ill know if that was it on the next oil change.

i have (4) #10 hoses from the valve covers going to a baffled breather can......I see vapor from the can every now and then, but after 600+ miles i have yet to get a single drop of oil out of the can.....