1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MMR 800 MOTOR REBUILD FOR TURBO

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by NEILZVETTE, Dec 26, 2012.

1. NEILZVETTE

Details: 2005 Mustang GT
    On3 / MP 70T .68 A/R
    5 Speed /Spec 2 Clutch
    3:55 Posi Rear
    GT500 Pumps with upgraded power wire

Bought this car last winter and it was a beast. At 15# of boost it was very quick although it seemed to fall off of a little at the top of the power band. Some of you know this car as KrisR owned it before me. It had put down 700ft/tq and 600+ RWHP on E85 in the past. Anyhow this summer it started to smoke a little and thought I had a PVC issue or at worst a turbo seal going. Not that lucky did a compression check and a few cylinders we low so the motor is out with suspected ring issues. As it sits now hoping to send it out to MMR for a freshing but thinking about upgrades while out. And would like the experts opinion as I come from a LS/BB GM background.

1. Compression- At 8.5 right now it was kind of weak out of boost. I see the new Cobra Jet is running 9.5 with turbos, with 93 octane could I get away with increasing my compression and maybe my turbo will carry upper RPMS better as it shouldn't have to work as hard to overcome lower compression?

2. Heads & Cams- Plan on using upgraded valve springs regardless and having the heads reworked. On a street with occasional strip use is cost to upgrade cams or have heads ported worth it. Maybe considered sending engine out as a longblock for MMR to do cam and head porting.

3. MMR 2500 series pistons and Stainless Steel or Hellfire rings- Do not want to have to pull this again. Figure using the best parts I can get my hands on. Opnions?

4. Headers- Shortys do not look like they would be much better than stock manifolds. Thinking of wrapping manifolds or would that make them crack?

5. Head studs or factoty bolts. I have yet to read anyone mention a failure because of the head lifting in fact I believe this car has stock bolts and has pushed pretty good power?
    MMR seems to have reasonable prices but are their any other shops or individuals that do Mod Motors in the Cenral Illinois area. I have built a few motors in the past but really just do not have the time or location to do the rebuild. The longblock is out of the car and would be willing to trust someone else to do the work?
    Thanx for you opinions/suggestion!

2. NEILZVETTE

12 Views and no comments?

3. stangman9897

It looks like you have a good plan. Im doing the same on the one im building now, put in the best parts and have less problems.

Im sure the on3 kept some from replying , they are not well liked on here.

4. 99TTGT

only one possible issue...........................on3

other topics you may want to check out

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/329260-**STICKY**-Mod-Motors-Turbo-setup-s
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/323973-**STICKY**-Modular-Database-hp-tq
    https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/341566-Frankenstein-The-modular-forum-project

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. NEILZVETTE

The turbo system was installed by the P.O. and while I know their not popular in some circles I haven't had any issues with the turbo kit. More concerned about the motor at this point if you know what I mean?

6. 99TTGT

1. I have push 1000rwhp threw a glide with 8.5 compression with no issues. <9.5 will be ideal>
    2. oem heads and cams will support 1000rwhp < comp cam springs with steel retainers will be a good option>
    3. total seal SS rings is the best option < the expensive ones>
    4. oem manifolds will support 1200rwhp with no issues
    5. ARP head studs , main studs & ARP 2000 rod bolts is the way to go
    6. MMR is a good Choice.! Mark will hook you up

7. kboss87

1. I would go at least 9.0:1...possibly 9.5:1 compression. I run 9.2:1
    2. Stock heads and cams will be sufficient, but if you have the money, then go for it now while its apart.
    3. I run total seal SS
    4. Agree with previous post...stock manifolds will do the job
    5. ARP head studs without a doubt

8. NEILZVETTE

I know that MMR was closed for the holidays. Is there anyone there that I should ask for that deals with this forum directly?

9. 99TTGT

MARK...

10. lowboost2v

the .68AR will hurt the top end some too.

Also look into Phase 2 in Crestwood MO. Todd is a stand up guy and have built some mean mod motors. They are closer and you wouldnt have to ship anything. Ill be having them build my engine.

11. NEILZVETTE

I may have to do that, as I called MMR and talked to a rep there and they didn't return my call as promised. As a business owner I know things happen during the day, but follow up is important. Does MMR have a contact person on the forum?

12. lowboost2v

I am not an mmr fan. They have a bad rep around the stl area. Give Todd a call man you will be very pleased.

13. 99TTGT

Mark is the owner= MMR
    https://www.theturboforums.com/images/buttons/edit_40b.pngMod Mustang Racing[​IMG]#ad

Authorized Advertiser

btw
    Mark is a stand up guy, he will take care of you.!

14. NEILZVETTE

Thanks sending him a message now.

15. one eyed willy

I just switched up from 9.1:1 to 9.5:1..... Love it! I got my Manley pistons and SS rings from Modmax!

go with ARP just for the fact you won't have to keep buying bolts/studs.....

16. NEILZVETTE

Update: Called MMR Tuesday and asked for Mark and he isn't avaliable again. Find I have Jeff on the phone again and ask if he got me an estimate? He asks if I am the guy looking for the "blower"? I remind him that he was supposed to get some numbers together last week and call me by the end of Friday. Told me wait a minuite and he says let me check my notes, doesn't have any! I go through what I would like to do again and says $2500 to $3000 tops. I tell him perfect my installer will contact him for shipping instuctions. Today installer was told $5100..... I sent PM to MMR via this website over the weekend thinking I may get Mark, nothing so far. At this point unless I get a responce I am convinced the negative press this company recieves may be waranted. Hopefully they contact me tomorrow and prove me wrong. If they or any other Mod Motor experts care to contact me it is
    This content is protected
    and 309-472-3469. I am almost to the point of just doing it myself but I just do not have the time. I pay cash, never figured it would be this hard to give it away!

17. NEILZVETTE

Update: Called MMR Tuesday to follow up,asked for Mark and got Jeff. Asked him for a update and he asked if I was the guys looking fora blower? Nope reminded him he was supposed to get numbers for me by the end of the day last Friday, check his notes and had none? Went through everything again and he said $2500-3000 tops. I said great my installer will contact for shipping instuctions. Installer did that today and was told $5100! I have also PM MMR on the website to no avail. Suggestions ?

18. NEILZVETTE

I figure giving them 24 hours more to earn my business and after that will do it myself or find someone local. My email is youngneil72@yahoo or 309-472-3469

19. lowboost2v

Typical behavoir. Hopefully Mark will jump in here and help clear some confusion!

P/S --- Phase II

20. NEILZVETTE

Phase II has a call in. Thanks Low Boost.