1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MK-II 700R4 (home brew tools as well)

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Drac0nic, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Drac0nic

OK, I built my last 700R4 in my heap and am not happy about a few things in it. Notably the fact it leaks like a sieve. The plan is as follows:

-Build a brand new core (1991 model 700R4, V8 Caprice unit) up with the existing valve body and other parts
    -Use a minimal amount of store purchased tools including expensive specialty tools. Anything will be built that is required.
    -Outsource a minimal amount of the job. This will likely be the pump busing and the rear case bushing installation. Last time it was ~$20 for this.
    -Clean and reuse the original VB and separator from my old 700R4

I have the parts kit already from Ebay end cost was about $170. This included a HP clutch pack (Z-pak) 'vette servo, .5 boost valve and a Beast Sun Shell. The only thing else I would normally add to this is a Transgo kit, but I already have one in mine. Anything else is going to be hard parts. I sort of bludgeoned my way through my last build, so I'm doing this to correct a lot of "learning fixes" as well as have a transmission that's not flaring horribly in 3/4 gear like this one is. If I was hack I'd be tempted just to pull the 3-4 pack, put a new one in and flush the trans.

Since I've said all that, lets start out with some tools. This is a basic clutch press. It starts out life as a 2" wide section of 4" pipe. I take it and saw it in half. The next step is to drill a hole in it, then smash it a bit. After adding a piece of ready rod and a piece of rectangular box steel to it, we have our first tool. This is what will be used to compress the return springs to allow removal and installation of the piston.

IMG_20111213_231749.jpg #ad

IMG_20111214_002152.jpg #ad