1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wrong converter = lower boost production

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wht73, Nov 25, 2020.

1. wht73

Hey guys. Finally got my pile running with the Holley super sniper, hyperspark dizzy box and coil. It really runs great!
    I have a question regarding boost. So far it seems I can “only“ make 5psi at the gauge confirmed by map reading at 5k. Now it feels really strong and not totally hung up on boost numbers but what keeps coming up in my mind is my old 3k mile old 9.5” triple disc converter is too loose to make boost as it accelerates pretty easily. It was made for my last combo with a rowdy 406 550hp 4.30’s and 4K stall. it now has 3.73’s. I know there could be and is a million variables but I figured one of them is converter. Now when the 441” engine is done I was planning to trade my converter back in to circle d to get one for boost. I did stick another spring in the gates so should be good for at least 15psi now. On a side note my pcv valve hose was I guess blown off upon inspection yesterday after I went for a rip. I honestly don’t know how long it has been like this so that would equate to a boost leak but haven’t been back out to confirm yet. That dam sniper was compensating with a 3/8” hole wide open. Pretty amazing.
    Anyway sorry for the long post but am curious about converters.
    Thanks in advance

2. B E N

Check for boost leaks
    Check for exhaust leaks pre turbine
    Repair anything you find, throwing parts at an incomplete problem just leaves you with lots of leftover parts.

nxcoupe and wht73 like this.
  3. wht73

I will go over the exhaust side again to see if something is loose or leaking but from reading on this site I did the old wheel bearing grease trick on all the vband ends and don’t see/hear anything from them. I “think” the pcv Hose coming off definitely had something to do with it. I’ll pu a hose clamp and throw it on it and report back.

4. nxcoupe

You shouldn't have a pcv connected where it sees boost pressure. You'll pressurize your crankcase, which causes yet another tuning variable.

wht73 likes this.
  5. B E N

You can run the pcv into the intake side of the turbo, catch can would be recommended.

wht73 likes this.
  6. wht73

Any pics of catch can pcv deals?
    Thanks! I’ll have to see if the snipers port is threaded. Then I’ll plug it.

7. Disney Lincoln

F all that. I you want to vent crankcase either vent to atmos or exhaust. Last several builds i've done have all used crankcase evac systems and they worked very well. I'd say a step down from a vacuum pump, but not a big step down.

B E N likes this.
  8. nxcoupe

In the downpipe? Good idea.

9. Disney Lincoln

I've been amazed at what they pull even at idle. Might be some risk of pulling seals at high rpm. A vent/check could be put in place to limit the vacuum pulled though.

nxcoupe likes this.
  10. nxcoupe

Like a one way check valve that opens at a specific pressure? Good idea.

11. wht73

Ok It was me. Little embarrassed to say I just "sungged" the clamps and 1 of the rubber couplings popped apart. I re did everything and ty wrap'd the pcv valve and presto 15psi! On another note, upon viewing the data log I'm at 16.6 degrees at 14 psi so we were popping out the exhaust. So that comes out to 1.85 per psi removed. Lil too much. I think it "should be 1 per correct? That would bring me to 21* total.
    I gotta say, a V8 with a turbo is pretty cool! Totally different animal from my 550+ hp 406 that was in my car. Not that my 406 wasn't fun....and went 10's on 93 but this is way cooler. Especially
    on this 32yr old IROC long block! I don't even have the rt converter yet!
    I gotta get on my builder and get my 441 sbc done!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  12. Mnlx

Gen 1's like timing, but don't assume. Get your boost, and afr's where you want them, and add timing slowly. Reading plugs is the best way to confirm timing.

wht73 likes this.
  13. wht73

Will do!

14. wht73

I need to put new plugs in it anyway AND reduce the gap.

15. wht73

I reduced the gap to.028 on new plugs and will (weather permitting), take it for a ride and see tomorrow.