1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mitsubishi TF07 - 17M

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by XKfab, Nov 26, 2020.

1. XKfab

I have a led on 7 of these Mits TF07-17M that look to be new for a very good price. Been looking for some time but can not find any solid specs on them. They are std T4 divided turbine housing. Rest is just what the seller claims, Hp 300 to 700, Comp wheel 65mm x 74mm .44af, Turb wheel 50mm x 75mm .77af. If the # are true i belive they would be a good match for a few twin turbo builds i plan to do. 351 WC and 6.2 Raptor. Any information or specs on these Mits turbo will be more than greatly appreciated. MHITF07-17M.jpg #ad
    00R0R_gdgIhTyfSVq_0lM0t2_1200x900.jpg #ad

2. B E N

The turbines are small for either of those applications, you really want 70mm plus. The drive ratios aren't great either.

3. XKfab

Thanks Ben, So i should be looking for a turbo with an turbine wheel with the small dia around 70mm and the large dia like 85mm for an example ? I found some John deere = bws256? i belive to be at an good price you guided me to. I could not find any wheel # on the john deere but found wheel # for an bw s256 and there turbine wheel is 61.5mm x 69.6mm so thats to small right ? Does the john deere turbo have a bigger turbine wheel than a bw s256 ? The Mits TF07 has a 50mm x 75mm and the s256 has a 61.5mm x 69.6mm so there both to small even for my 351wc ? Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it right the first time. Oh i can get the Mits for $140ea but must take all 7 so i was hoping i could use them on 2 or 3 builds and have spares for parts

4. B E N

I didn't want to recommend compressor size because I don't know your power goals, or base engine power, or how you want the engines to behave (use case). You can get anything from a 52mm-57mm in the s200s. Depending on how hot the base engine is you might look at stepping up to the s300's, they have a 80mm turbine and go from 61mm-69mm compressors.

5. XKfab

Both the 351wc and the 6.2 raptor will be 98% street driven running on an pump gas and e85 blend at an 50/50 t0 100% e85. Booth had cams made for boost with a wide lsa with about 230 @ .50 dur that should make power to 6.5k rpm. Both have an 6r auto behind them. The static cr on the 351wc is 10.4 and the 6.2r is stock and i belive is slightly less than 10. The 351wc should make 380 fw hp and the 6.2r 450 fw hp na and will be happy with 600 to 650 whp as i know it will be hard to hook that up on the the street. I have been talking and reading alot on here about street driven turbos and it looks like turbo lag is a thing of the past if its all built to work togther. I thought i had to run an low cr like 8.5 and that just kills your low end and thats not good on the street auto but now i belive you could run up to 11cr with a good mild tune on pure e85. Thanks again Ben and this site !!!

6. B E N

Matchbot likes the s257 for either, I think the s256 would be fine as well (no map available on matchbot), you could bump up to the 61 or 63mm s300 unit but the s200 maps look real good. I like the s200s for the street, and especially for the raptor, the midrange on them is a little soggy. Start with whatever A/R you can get cheap then use the turbine housing to dial it in once your running/driving. If I choose to put the 80mm back on my Ranger the s256s will end up on the raptor or my jeep (351w at around 375hp).

If you buy turbo's from that guy on ebay be prepared to dissasemble, clean and inspect,. Mine were in good shape (aesthetically pretty banged up) but had some grit in the center section, they were not stored well, or maybe the truck they were on crashed into a river.

7. XKfab

Ok i will try to get an deal on 6 of the ebay john deere / s256s. On the john deere / 265 you got have for the turbine a/r ? I have 3 6.2 raptor engines and 2 of them i am putting forged rods & pistons and 1 is in great shape so i am going to install it all stock except for ring gap, springs, turbo cams locked and valve pockets if needed. I have heard 550whp is all the stock rods will hold but i have only $200 invested in it so i am willing to find out myself if i can get close to 650whp. Oh i am putting this one in my 60 bird that i removed the big inch fe with the c6 as the raptor fits better than the factory fe

8. B E N

In the interest of moderation maybe buy two and run them, see how that engine does. That way if there is behavior you don't like you can change it and not be stuck with 4 spare turbos.