1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mitsubishi style bov/bypass sticking?????

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by going turbo, Sep 5, 2006.

1. going turbo

Before I put a manual boost controller on my car I saw 10-11psi boost now with the manual boost controller cranked to it's limit I only see 12-13psi. Is this because the bov/bypass is sticking open. I've also heard you can only make 3-4psi more boost than your wastegate spring setting. I have a tial 38mm, not sure what spring. Any opinions? Or first hand experience?

2. Fathouse

I would boost leak test it, to verify the bov is leaking. If it is, fix/repace it. You should be able to find a used 1g bov for ~30 bucks.

Take the spring out of the wg, the size and color will tell you what spring pressure it is. There is a chart on Tials webpage.

Fathouse

3. gobtool

With the manual boost controller, you should be able to make as much boost as you want, regardless of the spring in the wastegate. The only time you couldn't would be if you had excessive exhaust backpressure, and this was pushing open the wastegate. You probably have a boost leak somewhere. If it's not the BOV then start checking all the other stuff.

4. going turbo

Pro turbo systems says I should be able to double the boost I was getting before, with the boost controller. Talked to another company and they said I will only get about 3-4 psi over the what I was getting with just the wastegate and no controller. I bypasse the BOV by unhooking the vacum line and plugging the leak and then I cranked up the boost controller and I still see only 10-11psi. Maybe I'm having issues with the wastegate and bov?