1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

minimum amount of straight pipe before and after MAF

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by detonator, Mar 11, 2004.

1. detonator

putting together a junkyard twin setup. getting close to run time. I ordered a pro-m 75mm universal but its not here yet. i am working on the cold side piping this weekend. i would like to know the minimum amount of straight pipe before and after MAF for optimum performance Thanks for any input Mike

2. Turbostangman

Sell it and buy a Univer.....

3. 034v

I have noticed that in order for the Bullet to work well on a blow-thru set up, you must lean out the MAF curve a bit.. If you can get the tune on the curve right, then you should have at least 5 inches on either side of straight pipe.. My Bullet works great, I also welded the mount holes so no boost will get out..

4. GT_4_FUN

I talked with PRO-M about a week ago about this same issue. I have a 75mm Bullet that I am using on my turbo system. I was concerned about a 90 degree bend that I have right after the MAF (my set up is a draw through). I have a filter on the inlet side of the MAF. PRO-M told me that the only problems occur is when there is a sharp bend in front of the MAF not afterwards. He told me that it would be a waste of $$ to upgrade my MAF. So I had it recal'd for 42#.

I hope this helps.
    Craig

5. shawnt64

that a relief! have the same setup

6. Turbostangman

I am not sure who you spoke with but this is not entirely true. I had about 12" of straight before my Bullet and when I went to a Univer I picked up 2-3MPH traps.

One of my friends gained 16RWHP by switching from a Bullet to a univer.

They didn't build the univer for no reason.

7. shawnt64

will a dyno tune/ chip burn compensate for the pro m and its rich condition or will they have to recalibrate

8. Turbostangman

A recalibration with the piping you plan on using is a must but the problem is when a certain air volume is reached the MAF readings begin to fluctuate and throws off the A/F ratio.

9. shawnt64

is a wide band sensitive enough to show the fluctuations.

10. Turbostangman

Should be but a logger of the MAF output signal should show it also if it occurs.

11. detonator

sorry i confused you guys..i made that post after a few beers...i do have a 3 inch pro flow universal..i dont know where i came up with the 75 mm thing..oops so will my answer be different now? thanks ill be more carefull next time Mike

12. SlowJoe

WHERE DO YOU guys buy your universal at.

13. Toma

3-4 pipe diamters for length before, 2 pipe diameter for length after....

14. Turbostangman

Then it doesn't matter.

Way to go on a wise purchase. :tu: