1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mile+ racing air to water or air to air intercooler?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by sumfoo1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sumfoo1

Title pretty much has it summed up. I'd like to hit the Texas mile next year and I'm wondering which intercooler would be better. It seems like the amount of water required to run for a sustained mile or 4 would be substantial. But it would also require one heck of an air to air intercooler at 1500hp+

What do y'all think?

2. rugger

It sounds like you need a big intercooler. What are the other Texas mile turbo guys doing?

3. sumfoo1

Seems to be a little of both. And then some guys running air to water with big heat exchangers up front too

4. Jeremy

With an A2A it wont ever heat soak, but with A2W you will have to take precautions to keep water temps down during the run.

5. Forcefed86

Personally... I'd run a huge slow spooling turbo. Something giving you 1:1 drive pressure or better and also won't heat your air charge a ton. Use methanol as your main fuel and no charge cooler. I wouldn't want to sacrifice the weight for an A2W (you'd need a huge tank) or the aerodynamics of an A2A.