1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

mild tt 318 intake ?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by sbdgbody, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sbdgbody

i have about 400 hp 318 ported j heads 650 dp blow througt deal 8psi boost 2 small t3 flange turbos what would be a good intake victor m1 super victor holley strip dom this was for my street car but im going too try it im my drag car thanks

2. CW25

Edelbrock performer RPM air gap would be the best. Those single plane will kill the bottom end.

3. mpi_duster

The dakota/durango crowd all favor single plane intakes especially for forced induction. Depending on the T3's he is using boost comes on very very early (2300-2500rpm). I'm injected on my 318 but personally getting a single plane M1 4bbl for my car.

4. sbdgbody

the turbos are t70 3.0l-6.0l displacement engines/ turbo capable of 300 - 500 hp
    capable of 25 -35 psi boost
    compressor inlet 4" inducer 56.2 mm exducer 72.9 mm trim 59 a/r 0.70
    turbine out 2,5" t3 flange down pipe flange 2.5"v band inducer 73.9mm exducer 58.3mm trim 62 a/r 0.84

5. CW25

That may be but a dual plane helps with off boost performance. Driving around town it is nice to have the extra bottom end and throttle resonse without waiting for the turbo. Maybe I value the off boost performance more than others but I would give that little 318 all the help it can get. I built my 400 around that theroy and am exreamly happy with the outcome.

On the turbo I wouldn't go any less than a 60mm single.

6. mpi_duster

If he is running those twin T70's I'd agree with you, because with two of them on a lil 318 boost won't be a light switch.

7. sbdgbody

thanks guys// what do you think of the turbos??? thats y i aded the specs :2thumbs:

8. furious70

As said above, 2 T70's on a 318 probably won't be very satisfying on a street car, you'll have to have some rpm's before you're making boost.
    One of my friends has a TT340 street car that he's messed with for ~15yrs through carb and efi and he's had best luck with fuel distribution and mpg with dual planes, best HP from single planes. He runs a razor sharp tune on the car for street driving, and the single planes would not allow that, he always got lean surging from a couple of the cylinders.
    His advice to me on my BB was to pick the intake I would use NA, and so that's what we did. I've yet to add the boost, but my plugs all look very even with the EFI system NA with the rpm perf intake.

9. mpi_duster

What are you Hp goals? For a street machine those turbos are a bit big, but if you're building this for the strip those are about right, they won't come on strong until high in the 3k rpm, low 4k rpm range. But they will support massive power. I don't know a whole lot about the older 318 block strength but i know the magnum blocks are only reliably safe in the 700ish hp range before the block will fail.
    For reference I'm running two T3's off of Turbo coupes from the 80's with the smaller .48ex AR. Makes for a lot of fun street driving because boost is always right there, but I'm probably leaving a bit on the table as far as the track is concerned. I would say if you're looking at putting T70's in there one would be adequate with the .84 ex for a nice street setup with lower RPM range. Again though build it for what you plan on using it for.

10. sbdgbody

this is a 90 318 stanard bore 9.5 to 1 compression roller hyd cam 223 at .050 276 adv dur 525 lift roller rockers 340 steal crank for now its going in a 2900 pound drag car foot brake it to 3000 and let it rip thanks for all the help keep it coming :2thumbs:

11. sbdgbody

o so for the time being it will be in the drag car should i go for the single plane intake short plenum or long

12. CW25

Ok to clarify I was talking single. A single T70 would work well on that motor. JMO Unless you have larger heads you don't need twins unless they are small. Still think a single plane isn't the best match with such a mild motor but make it a longer runner if you insist on one.

13. sbdgbody

bump up :2thumbs: