1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Mild Steel or Stainless?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by TrxR, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TrxR

What is your honest opinion on what to use for a set of turbo headers for a street/strip application? Mild steel coated or go with a Stainless? I want something that is going to last me. What do you honestly think?

Thanks

2. Robert1320

We have done a bunch in S/S and coated M/S.
    Coated M/S is cheaper and seems to last just as long.

3. Duner

We were making kits for different vehicles out of both materials.
    There didn't seem to be any difference in how long they lasted or how well they held together that I saw.
    Of course, most of what we built went to Europe. If it didn't hold up we wouldn't know unless somebody called and complained.
    No calls, no complaints, no bad "press" on any of the forums.

4. Fury Fan

I don't have any personal experience yet, but I just want to add that hte thermal expansion of SS is much higher, so you have to keep an eye on that durign the design stage.

5. 351Frick

Totally agree, did my whole system in M/S because of the expansion differences.

6. tilt

If had to build mine again it would MS. I accounted for expansion with mine and the do move enough to hear them moving when the car is turned off.
    It is just a creepy sound........klink klunk klink klunk

7. BlownShovel

I also prefer MS. Cheaper and easier to work with IMO.