1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

might be a wierd boost question

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by dhudson8, Jul 9, 2006.

1. dhudson8

This might sound wierd, but.....

If I am running 2 turbochargers with a wastegate before each one that has a 8 psi spring, then wouldn't the minimum amount of boost I would be able to run be 8+8psi =16psi? I would assume that if both wastegates open at 8psi then they are both pumping out 8psi from each turbo making 16psi of boost.
    I might be way off, but that seems about right.

2. CW25

Pressure equalizes between the 2 turbos making 8psi.

3. dhudson8

well how exactly does that work?

4. turbofreek

cuz neither will make more than 8psi. both balance of the two running together when they(each one) reads 8psi the gates open and not allow more. you only run two be cause they arn't conected on the hot side of the turbos thats why it requires 2 not one on twins :2thumbs:

5. dhudson8

I guess I just don't quite get it still. I know the gate opens at 8 psi and seeing as how they are both connected to seperate headers and seperate turbos, then each turbo won't make more than 8 psi, but when they both push the air into the intercooler(dual inlet intercooler) it will be getting a total of 16psi pushed into it? correct?

6. turbofreek

no cus the gates are not pressure recieved for the hot side of the turbo but from the cold side after the two turbos merge in the cold side. get it now :2thumbs: only one pressure is read by both gates and thats 8psi when they open(from referenced intake manifold) together not seperately. :2thumbs:. if the intake manifold pressure is 8psi then both gates open at 8 psi. they dont work unless they are connected to a vacumn/boost port. dont over think them as seperate turbos but as a complete system. if both gates read 8psi which they are setup to open at, then they both read 8psi and open at that 8psi not 16psi. cuz the 8psi is from the intake after they merge together not before.

7. dhudson8

well that makes a little more sense. After reading this though, I almost thought I had them put in the wrong place. You make it sound like the wastegates should be after the turbo, but I understand a little better now. Thanks.