1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Waste Gate, using pressure on top

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Sep 30, 2021.

1. vht

This may be a dumb question but does anyone use air instead of CO2 on top of the waste gate? If so, what kind of set up do you use? I"m thinking, I know, I shouldn"t do that, it'd be cheaper and easier.

2. mld54

I have seen people use a Vair (brand name) air compressor and tank. I don't know if it would be better or not. On a street car I wouldn't want to listen to the noise from the compressor. Co2 is quiet, get a couple of 2.5lb co2 bottles and change them out when needed. It's easy and cheap to get them filled. On a race car noise wouldn't matter and you wouldn't ever have to worry about running out of co2 on a pass.

Google "compressed air boost control"

3. B E N

I run a compressor and tank for the bags on my 78, if your sealed up well it doesn't kick on often, and it really isn't loud in the cab. If you have another reason to run a compressor and tank it makes sense, if not co2 is easier and has a lower startup cost.

The tank also gives me 2 auxiliary ports, so I can run air tools off the truck (air up tires, etc) other port might get train horns.

4. tbird

Ive personally seen the Vair in a few dragweek cars. Only complaints where they dont fill a flat tire very fast. I have no idea how loud they are.

5. Mnlx

Plenty of guy use a compressor. If you follow Cleetus, his Elco has one. Ideally, a small reservoir would be nice, it would stop the constant cycling of the compressor so you may not hear it very often.

6. vht

I was thinking of some kind of small tank, basically like the air ride deal but with a smaller tank. On the street just run off the spring and at the strip use the air. Getting anything filled around here is a process, I went to get a tank for my mig today and it was a cluster f##k. One old woman at the counter and one older woman going out to get it.

7. Mnlx

What are your boost goals? You can use boost pressure on the top port.

dragvw2180 likes this.
  8. vht

From what I understand using co2 or air is more consistant and boost comes up quicker. I"m thinking about staging mainly. Boost goals is undecided, I'm starting with a stock Gen 4 bottom end so maybe between 20 and 25 lbs of boost.

9. SpartanSV

Quicker and more consistent than a manual controller? Absolutely.

Quicker and more consistent than a properly tuned closed loop boost system plumbed traditionally with a boost reference? Nope, and you need a properly tuned closed loop system to run a CO2 or compressed air system anyway.

The only real advantage is being able to run extreme boost pressures with a very light wastegate spring.

B E N likes this.
  10. vht

Has anyone heard of the GReddy Profec boost controller? It's $400 or so dollars, looks like a nice unit. I've been looking at several but have 0 experience with them. From my research I think running a decent size CO2 bottle would be best, air would be nice for airing up slicks on a cool night after you set for 30 minutes because of an oil down.

11. 434chevelle

Viair 10000

12. vht

15500219 is the pt # I'm looking at, didn't say 10,000 on it.

13. 434chevelle

That’s the Viair air compressor.

14. vht

That's weird, double checked and it says Model no. 15500219.

15. rdakota340

I use a AMS500 with on board air I use a 5lb spring in my Tial 60mm gate I really like it been on the car sense my build. I use a $40 air pump from Harbor Freight with a small aluminum tank.