1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Fuels Dilemma

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by JohnSpo1, Feb 21, 2020.

1. JohnSpo1

i need to make a decision on fuels pretty quick to know if I am going to change anything on my fuel system. Here are the problems;
    10.4:1 cr SBC, Dart Block AFR heads, Twins with intercooler, looking for about 14# boost
    1. Pump gas, Even with ic need to cool the charge more, some type of injection?
    2. E85, would love to use it, nearest station is 60 miles away
    3. Methanol, would run cooler, lots of power, very poor mileage. Where would a person fill up? Back up would be a second tune to run pump gas in an emergency.
    Option 1 seems to be the easiest and least costly, but detonation scares the hell out of me. Would h2O/meth injection be the cure? How difficult and inconvenient is it to install and run? What size tank minimum?
    Is there any dependable and efficient way to get the octane rating of 93 up to a satisfactory level?

2. Briansshop

E85 is not an option for me also. I run 93 pump and 50/50 water/meth. 800-850 hp currently. Detonation isn't as big a deal as it's made up too be if you have some tuning experience.

I only have a 3qt water tank. W/M on at 8psi boost.

3. JohnSpo1

How long does 3qt last, and where do you inject?

4. Briansshop

5. B E N

If you have a track near you blending your own fuel may be an option. Store a 55 gallon drum of methanol or ethanol, make your own m25 or e50. You could also buy e85 a drum at a time and blend it, or just make the fuel trip when needed. Of course you need an engine hoist or something to unload the full drums, and a truck to go pick up fuel. Water meth seems easier :D.

It's kind of a pain but what about a high horsepower car doesn't take a lot of work.

JohnSpo1 likes this.
  6. JohnSpo1

Have a truck, a trailer, a hoist and a tractor. Moving the drum would be the easy part :). Water/Meth seems the best bet, especially if I need to fill up while out on a cruise.