1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Metalic noise coming from turbo area - VIDEO inside

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by TT_05_Stang, Jul 23, 2010.

1. TT_05_Stang

So I had another EGR cooler fail on me(the 4th) and got tired of paying the stealership 2500+ every time. So I purchased a RCD EGR delete, and installed it last weekend. As I am going through I noticed the stealership messed up a few things. One they cross threaded the mounting bolts to the Turbo baseplate, and the baseplate to intake was missing 3 of the bolts... anyway shotty work to say the least...

So I get it all back together and start it up... well I am getting a metallic sound from around the turbo, and I cant tell if its the turbo itself or possibly on of those heat shields on the uppipes, or even the v-band not all the way seated on the turbine side of the turbo...

Anyways here is the video I took on my phone, the noise starts about 2-3 seconds after starting up, like the turbo spooling on idle, and some foriegn matter in the turbine side. I am sure nothing got in as I put blue tape on all holes of the turbo when i took it off and installed it... but I guess anything is possible...

E7Y3i_obTKE[/media]]YouTube - July 23, 2010 7:09 AM

Need to get this thing back on the road soon so any help in identifying the issue will net you a beer or two!!!!

Will

2. stangman9897

I know you don't want to hear this but that sounds just like my turbo sounded like when it ate a wheel. Could be something else but just saying

3. TT_05_Stang

Found the issue, it was a bad seal between the turbo and up-pipe. for some reason the v-band is tight but its just not sealing. big exhaust leak :(