1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

!%@$%@#$ messed up cam timing

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by ashford, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ashford

i just completed a b- c head swap on my 85 capri. i had bought some unused c heads from a guy from another forum they had never been run.

i used the factory cam aligning jigs and all timing marks lined up no fuss. cranked the engine over till i got oil pressure and tried to start it. it was flooded out and i cleared it out an it finally started and ran like shit. so i pulled out the compression tester and i have no compression on the drivers side. WTF i get the bore scope out and i can see evedence of the intake valves hitting the pistons.

2 questions

im pretty sure the drivers intake cam is wrong, does this sound right?

what is the possibility the valves are not bent?

2. 99TTGT

pics?

3. ashford

no pics the head is still on. had the valvecover pulled and it has a passenger intake cam in it instead driver so the valves open 90* before tdc. fuck gotta pull the head

4. ashford

i got ahold of the guy who sold me the heads and he was kind enough to sent me another

5. yan88gt

After the passenger side primary chain was put on, did you turn the engine more than 180 degree to align the driver side chain ? If so, the cam could be 180 degre off. I'm not proud to say this, but it happen to me a few years ago. Fortunately, if it's what happened to you, there will be no bent valve.

EDIT: the engine will run with one side 180 degree off but it will be hard to start and run like shit.

6. ashford

what happened is that the passenger head has a drivers intake cam in it. both intake cams have the same part number.. i thought i maybe did what you said at first so i turned on wasted spark in the ms3. it would of been interesting if i did do that because it would of run on all 8 just 2 cylinders firing at the same time.

7. BLK_03

I'm sure you're already aware, but you more than likely bent some valves. It is quite possible some guides could be broken as well. You need to get the head off, repair the damage, and make sure to inspect the piston tops for any material deformation. Anything sticking up or irregular on the top of the piston will create detonation. Need to smooth that stuff out.

8. 99TTGT

:iagree:

9. ashford

i got it back together today, the guy i bought the heads from sent me another one so that makes life easier. visually the valves look ok but don't trust them to be good. all 4 pistons had 2 shallow impressions in them about .015-.020 deep right on the edge of where the dish starts. i used a carbide gasket scraper and dragged over it till the high spots were gone. now i just have to deal with an annoying lifter tick that comes and goes :banghead:

btw the scraper i have is frigging awesome http://superscraper.com/

10. 99TTGT

A good thing is that you got now a spare head.!

you pull the valves out to inspect them & then get them replace..

bridal-shoal