1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Merge Pipe built, comments please

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by DynoDan, Dec 24, 2004.

1. DynoDan

2. SWT Racing

It looks pretty good to me. There may be a way to make it better, but it's hard to tell from the angle you shot the pic.

3. DynoDan

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply. I'm gonna try and weld up that merge / junction pipe when I get another 5 minutes to myslef.

I tried to keep the passenger side exhaust gases *as parallel as possible* to the drivers side gases. The merge happens on the outside radius of a bend though...........

I've seen the work you do, it's very impressive. I'm just a dude with a chop saw and a 110v MIG welder..........get'n there.:D

4. SWT Racing

Thanks Dan, but I'm just a guy with a Sawzall and a TIG welder. It's not too different!

5. ziptie007

looks good to me. like the design 2.

6. Bird Man

Should work fine.... Dont worry about the little shit.

Jeremy

7. DynoDan

Well, I had a few more hours to work on some stuff this weekend. I've got the intercooler stuffed in the nose, the cold side done and mounted, and the downpipe "squeezed" into place.

I've gotta get some 1.5" tube to build the wastegate piping, as well as mount the bypass valve.

Here's where I'm at:

8. TurboSN95

Looks good!

9. DynoDan

OK, so next question. I'm gonna try and route the wastegate plumbing and have a few questions. I know it'll be best to pull exhaust out of the merge pipe so it's diverting flow / energy from both banks.............ok. Is there a recommened place to plumb the discharge from the WG back into? Does it matter if it's right near the turbine housing in the DP, or much further dowstream in the DP?

Last question, where is the ideal place to get a vac/boost reference for the WG and bypass valve. My bypass is a Vortech mini-race unit, and I'm running in a draw-thru arrangement.

OK, another question. The inlet and the discharge from the turbo are right next to each other in the passenger fender. Fitting the bypass valve in there with them is gonna be a little tight. Is there a reason why I can't put the bypass valve on the other side of the car, after the intercooler, on the pipe leading up to the TB? The hose from the bypass would be rather lenghty since it has to travel across the car and back to the inlet of the turbo (after the MAF). Reasons why or why not?

Thanks guys!